This Disappears When Logged In

YAY

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by fightingfeeders, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fightingfeeders

fightingfeeders Elite Member

Hey all...I just finished remodeling my terrarium for my leopard Gecko...she loves it. I used reptile-carpet for the sides and broke up some ply wood for the back. Screwed in a hammock for her to climb/ bask on. I'll try to show you a pic

And I need to know if I am missing anything...like do Leos need water? Rocks? Anything you can suggest would be a HUGE help.

Ok...heres a picture

Attached Files:

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I offer a water dish to all of my lizards.

What substrate are you using?

3. fightingfeeders

I have a walnut shell substrate and I KNOW, that its not to good... but it's what I got and I can't spend any more money right now... Besides, it's a waste to have bought that stuff.
    Anyways, she seems pretty happy right now....

By the way... I need to know if an under tank heater is really all that important.

4. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Yes it is.

It maybe a waste, but it will effect your gecko. That is the worst thing to put them on. I have had to throw out stuff that I bought, ya it sucks, but if it means your gecko living longer then I would. You shouldn't have to spend any extra, you can use newspaper, computer paper, or paper towels.

Also stop with the anthropomorphism, she may seem happy to you but no one ever truly knows.

5. fightingfeeders

What I mean is it is wasteful to have bough that stuff and then just throw it a way.. and besides, the walnuts conduct heat better that paper. Not to be rude or anything, but not everyone can afford to be running an under tank heater that you would need for paper as well as 2 lights
    no offense or anything.

6. MoogleBass

None taken, I am just trying to help out.

7. Moshpitrockchick

So use it for something else. Put it in a decorative jar and look at it if it is that important that you don't toss it out. Mix it in with your kitty litter, use it to help your house plants drain, whatever you decide I hope you remove it from your geckos tank before it causes an impaction and kills your lizard.

Please switch to a non-particulate substrate for the safety of your gecko.

If you cannot afford the electricity to properly provide for your gecko then maybe you shouldn't have one. It's just a matter of what is best for the animal, not for what is convenient for us as the owners.

8. fightingfeeders

Ok. I've got something to say to that. I know you're just trying to help, but this comes all the way back to you accusing me of being cruel to my pets. And what gives you the right to tell me what I should or should not have as a pet? I seem to remember that at least one other member was really P.Oed about that...

And... I'm afraid I am going to have to trust the pet store about this stuff because I have actually met the pet store workers and the one I spoke to SPECIFICALLY told me that she uses crushed walnuts in her tanks. This is the same person who got me setup in the first place.

And another thing, if these guys come from Iran/iraq, they are on sand anyways no? If they have survived this long then obviously this biological stuff will not kill them.

9. MoogleBass

We never said you were cruel, why do people always jump to this.

I have personally kept leos for 6 years now. I think I know whats good and whats not.

Also, the petstores really do not care if you put them on shards of glass, its a sale to them and thats all they want.

Obviously you have not read enough about them. They do not live on sand. They live on hard packed clay.

10. fightingfeeders

I wonder the same thing about people and their assumptions about pet stores.. You really have to wonder... why would a person open up a pet store, hire employees for that pet store, and do their best to provide information about their pets if they didn't care about the pets they sell?

Most of the resources I have read say that these geckos live in deserts with sand... Consider this...Next time you go to a pet store ask about terrarium sand. Usually it will have a picture of a leopard gecko on the front.

11. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't think anyone has accused you of being cruel, and in fact I seem to remember you saying in your intro thread that you are open minded. How are you open minded if you don't want to listen to the advice people are giving you for the good of your animal? And no one here is trying to tell you that you shouldn't have this animal as a pet, just be responsible enough to care for it properly.

Think about this. What does the pet store have to gain from getting you to use a product that they sell and that you will have to replace on a regular basis- oh yeah! Income! It's all about sells. Most pet stores DO NOT train their people in the proper care of reptiles - I know I used to work for one. Now think about the flip side. What do we have to gain from taking time out of our day to give you advice? Nothing really other than helping you. This site is dedicated to making sure that people get the best possible information out there to be able to take care of their animals.

As Nate said, they don't actually live on sand. They live on packed earth. And crushed shells aren't sand anyways. Think about it, this stuff is coarse and abrasive. So much so that it is used as a blasting material.

Now for some of your other concerns.
    Heat: the walnut shells really won't hold in that much heat. If you want something that will work well, get some slate tiles.
    The UTH would actually be more efficient for your heating needs than running a heating lamp and light. Heat rises and the leo will pretty much stay on the ground. So all the heat your lamp is putting out is basically going up instead of making the tank warmer. They don't really need a light, so you could do away with both lamps if you got the UTH.

12. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

We are trying to help you, pet stores do not always know what is best! and please please do the spell check, I have a hard time understanding some of your words. you can use a dish cloth if you want for the bottom, I used that for a while before getting the carpet. worked well for me! and don't get upset about buying something the pet store made you buy and you found out it was not good. when I first got into frogs I did a lot of expensive mistakes, we are here to learn.

13. fire2225ems

It's not an assumption if it is from experience. Why do pet stores do this? Because the bottom line for them is that they want sales. They need income. That and there is a lot of bad information out there about reptiles. A lot of it is outdated, and you have to do constant research to be able to stay in the know.

I don't know where you do your research, but I would like to know so we can evaluate if they are reliable resources. You have to remember that anyone can put information out there, that doesn't mean that it is reliable.

Why do the packages have the pictures on the front? Oh yeah Cause they are trying to SELL you THEIR product. It wouldn't be very conductive to sells if they put on the bag "this could kill your beloved pet" would it?

14. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

Whoa this is the only post I've ever seen on this forum where people are actually arguing and not just helping each other out. I asked the same question the other day when I got my pacman frog. If people thought I had a good setup, I posted a picture and people helped me out and told me not to keep them on gravel and moss. Now even though I went out and spent the 15 bucks on gravel and 8 on the moss, I need to take advise from people who love animals not advice from people who are just trying to get me to spend money. So I went out and spent another 11 on some coco fiber. Even though I wasted the 23 bucks it's a lesson learned. Just take the advice and be happy there are people who care about your animal enough to help you out.

15. Moshpitrockchick

16. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

Very well said, thank you :) I'm also happy btw you took our advice for your pacman.

17. fire2225ems

Some quick research I did...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_gecko
    "Leopard Geckos are native to south-asian Afghanistan, throughout Pakistan, north-west India, and into Iran where it inhabits the rocky, dry grassland and desert regions of these countries. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Native Habitat of the Leopard Gecko & Setting up a Natural Enclosure
    "What is a Desert?

Leopard geckos are from the rocky deserts of Pakistan, India, and Afghanistan. This is a given.

But, what most people don't quite understand is that desert land is technically land of sparse vegetation and minimal rainfall and precipitation.

Desert does not mean dirt and sand. In reality only 20% of the Earth's deserts are composed of sand. Nearly all deserts are composed of rock and pebbles. There are of course several different types of deserts, each with slightly different environments and characteristics, but that of the leopard gecko is that composed of rock and compacted sand."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Leopard Gecko: Your Happy Healthy Pet - Google Book Search
    "The Leopard Gecko's native Habitat stretches from Iraq in the west through Itran, Afganistan, and Pakistan, terminating in northwest India. The landscape inhabited by the Lepard Gecko is dry and rocky. "

18. fightingfeeders

Ok...So a question... Are leos and beardies the same??? No they are not. I am afraid that all your 'help' is not helping at all. So... as far as I am concerned, this topic is closed. You guys can tell me what to do, but for all I know, you could all be serial killers. Truly, I will do what I think is right... Ok? OK.

19. fire2225ems

You are right, Beardies and Leos are different species, but their digestive tracts are similar - except for the fact that Beardies are larger and therefore less likely to have problems as quickly as Leos.

If you really feel that what you are doing is right, then get some proof to back it up. This site is all about teaching and making sure that we have the most up to date information for what is best for our animals. So, maybe you can prove us wrong.

20. MoogleBass

Ok, well lets look at something here. I will find the pics of a leo for you then, give me a few. If you are a truly newbie at this and open minded like you said you would listen. Clearly your don't. If you want to know to do what is best for you leo you would listen.

As far as the bearded dragon and a leo not being the same. Yes we know, it is an example. If you look a bearded dragon is larger than a leo, thus the digestive tracks are a bit larger than in a leo. Yet it STILL got impacted. Now wouldn't you think that it would harm the leo? I would.

Like it has been stated before. Yes there are pet stores that do have works that do care, and there are some mom and pop stores that do care alto for their animals. Then again some really do not and only want your money which they got. Hate to say it but its the way the world works in some situations.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Impaction

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.