This Disappears When Logged In

Yay!!! New Ig Enclosure Made!!!

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by replover, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angel

angel Elite Member

That's fantastic! You should be very proud, you obviously put alot of thought and effort into it.

2. sgt_wolf73

sgt_wolf73 New Member

As I am new to the whole Ig experiance I have a build question. I looked at the cage on here but was curious as to if in your all's opinion an enclosed cage or a wire mesh cage is better to use. Seems a wiremesh cage would have problems with heat and humidity...but would be a lot lighter and cheaper to build than one of plywood and plexiglass. But a plywood/plexi would be easier to heat and keep humidity at a constant lvl in.

3. empoyner

empoyner Established Member

I myself perfer wood and glass that is fully insulated. But I keep my place pretty cool (55-60). I have no trouble keeping them warm with the enclosure I have. It is a chore to move with it though but not impossible.

4. Sean Boyd

Sean Boyd Elite Member

cool! Your ig is going to be really happy!

5. Mark

Mark Elite Member

I prefer solid sides on my cages but that does not mean you have to use wood and other rigid materials. I have a PVC framed cage covered with solid walls made of canvas. I keep the temps proper with only 180 W of light bulbs and think my cage is lighter and cheaper than if I had used hardware cloth/mesh. I can also take my cage apart to fit in a duffle bag for my many moves each year.

6. replover

replover Elite Member

MAR, there is nothing under the newsprint. It is just my floor. I had a board cut out for it, but then in the end I called the minivan company and they were all booked and I just couldn't carry it anymore so I had to dump it on the street!

But its cool as the floor under it is all sealed I have considered not having any newspapers even.

7. replover

replover Elite Member

By the way, I just found a shop that custom makes trees!!!!! Yes, you tell them how the branches should be angled and they make one for you, with a floor stand so it stands up right! And they're pretty cheap too.
    However, my ig is freaked out enough as it is, so I don't want to make any changes to the cage for at least a few months. If only I had found that place earlier. THey cater to parrot owners.

8. Mark

Mark Elite Member

It depends on what the floor is. Tile or linolium should be fine but any type of wood should be protected. You can go as simple as vinylized picnic-table cloth or outdoor tarp tucked under the edges of the cage and trimmed.

Stick with at least one layer of newsprint in there. As the ig grows the mess will. The newprint will absorb some of the water and keep it from spreading. As it spreads and hits the base of the cage the water will wick along the bottom edge of the cage making a ring which is nearly impossible to clean without lifting up the cage.

I have a vinyl tarp as the bottom of my cage and the edges lift up about 15 cm along all edges to mate with the wall. This tarp is essentially a soft tub now. While my ig is tub trained I don't have to clean it out daily but when he goes in the cage newsprint makes it so much easier to clean.

9. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

Very, VERY nice job on the cage!! I do have a couple of comments, however (nicely... ;D ).

The UVB tube - you need to have this within 6"-8" away from the ig. Any farther than that and the UVB drops so dramatically that the benefits of the UVB are lost. A merc vapor will be perfect for that setup! The Mega Ray EB can be set at 12" and still give the right amount of UVB.

Where is the basking bulb? You need one for heat, but am I missing it? Am I also missing the thermometer? I don't see one in the basking area...or anywhere.

Your water is fine and so is the food. Zair doesn't eat nearly as well if I put his food on the bottom of the enclosure. It has to sit on the basking shelf making sure it's not under the lights so it lasts longer. You might put an additional spot for water on one of the lower shelves.

Overall...you did a fantastic job... :D. You should be very proud of you.

10. replover

replover Elite Member

It has 3 thermometers and a basking lamp that is hard to see in that picture.
    I have since added a mercury vapor lamp. THanks.

11. sgt_wolf73

sgt_wolf73 New Member

Canvas question

Ok but wont a decent sized ig rip through the canvas? Mine is 3 years old. I adopted it from someone that couldnt afford the proper lighting for his cage. But though the cage they gave me is good sized at about 6' tall by 5' by 2 its all glass and way too heavy. Thats why I want to make a new cage and want something fairly light weight because I know I am moving to southern indiana some time this year.

12. replover

replover Elite Member

It should be ok. The floor IS wood but it has been sealed with laquer so it is completely impermeable. Also I have about 2 - 3 layers of ENTIRE folded newspapers there (not 2 - 3 single sheets, but two to three whole newspaper stacks) and is still doing a good job at absorbing the urates and moisture from the poop. I have deliberately made the bottom edge of the cage lifted off the floor by about 3 mm so that moisture wouldn't run along the edge. I do know he will be getting bigger and thus more poop which will be a problem as you said. But as soon as it reaches about 3.5 - 4 feet STL I will be taking down the cage and giving him the entire room. It's a pitty though because the cage looks kinda pretty.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I wouldn't get too quick about taking down the cage until you are sure of the sex. If it turns out to be a male and goes into one of those breeding seasons that turn them into total terrors you may find that you still need the cage to confine him,... for everyones safety!

14. replover

replover Elite Member

Well, by the time they are 4 feet long, you should be able to tell the sex, right?

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Probably!;)

16. replover

replover Elite Member

No problem then! And besides, I'm pretty sure it will be a girl. I just have a feeling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.