This Disappears When Logged In

Yay!! I Start Training Saturday!!

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by LovetheBaruu, Sep 15, 2009.

1. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I have signed up to be part of the Volunteer Snake Responder Network and training starts this weekend!! If I am called I will provide on-site education to landowners- help them make informed decisions and learn to co-exist with Eastern Massasaugas. I love this group because they want to conserve and educate. I can't wait!! (Stop laughing, all of you "hot snake" experts).

2. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Oh, great! Sounds like fun! There is not much need for this in Maine. What are people going to call in? "Help! There is an 8 inch garter snake!" LOL

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Education is the best way to calm fear!

4. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm not laughing!! (oh wait, I'm not a hot snake expert...)

That sounds very, very cool -- you have reason to be excited. I wish the commute wasn't so long or I'd join you. I could see it now - phone rings at 4:00pm - oh sorry honey I got a call, I'll be back in two days (and then hope the snake is still there when I get there!;) )

You'll have to fill us (the non-snake experts) on what they are training you -- I'm jealous!!! Congrats and good luck!

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just keep in mind that the end with the eyes is the one you have to watch out for!:p:D

6. LovetheBaruu

Payback for the coffee+monitor incident? Win.:p

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Whaaaaaa? Who? Me?
    Just trying to pass along helpful information!:D

8. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Wow, that sounds great!!! I wish I was joining you(of course there is that pesky long distance issue), the only advice I can give you is to remain calm and watch out for the distance between the snake and your arms.

There is an amazing site that I go to all the time, if I remember correctly, it was started by the Currator of Reptiles at the Cape Fear Serpentarium when she was living in Florida. The site is Snake Getters Venomous Snake Rescue, I love reading all of the information she has here. She also has some guides to healthcare for snakes and handling "HOTS". Check it out, you may enjoy it.

9. LovetheBaruu

Training was great! I got to handle a Northern Watersnake (beautiful belly), an Eastern Hog-nosed, and an Eastern Milksnake. I must admit, I am not what you would call a snake person, I think they are beautiful and need our protection, but as they kept handing these snakes to me I found an interesting internal struggle going on between a very primitive fear reaction and awe. They had a massasauga at the training but we were not passing it around LOL.

10. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I am glad to hear that you 'enjoyed' the training! I so understand that struggle inside - fear verses awe. If we did not have that fear factor then we would be stupid. I say this because I know people that have overcome their fear and who are currently doing real irresponsible things that put both them and the animal in harm. Fear is a good thing!;)

What is the next step?

11. LovetheBaruu

Next we notify all of the agencies, who could potentially receive a call, and a press release to get the info out about who to call if there is a landowner in need of one of us (volunteers). If we get a call; we go to the site, educate and do our best to charm the people into leaving the snake alone!!

12. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

It is just as Linky says, the fear keeps you alive, just don't let the fear overcome you so that you are too scared to react or do what needs to be done. Just remember, you will potentially be working with venomous snakes and you will need to stay on your toes.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck with it and if you get the chance, please take some photos.

13. LovetheBaruu

LOL! Photos are part of the requirement! We are also tracking sightings (confirmed) and miking sure that the Massasauga stays protected! Never fear, I know which end to pay particular attention to ~ thanks to Merlin~ I will always keep my sissy pants on (unless they need changed of course :eek:)!