This Disappears When Logged In

Wow,

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by metylvamp, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metylvamp

metylvamp Elite Member

I recently called a reptile rescue near me and they have two red tail boas that I have put on hold till december 6 when I will be able to get there to get them. The male is 6 1/2 feet long @6 yrs. and the female is 7 1/2 feet @6+ yrs. I have a cage that is 4' tall X 2' deep X 6' wide. is this big enough for them? If not I can build them a bigger enclosure. pics to come soon(I hope) after they get here.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I don't know about your cage, but thanks for rescuing. :)

3. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Are you housing them together? Not a good idea.

4. metylvamp

metylvamp Elite Member

They have been tank mates ever since they were @ the shelter. was considering it, but am now reconsidering. I don't know much about them other than what I've read on caresheets. care to explain?

5. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Most reptiles are completely solitary creatures, especially snakes, I have heard some horror stories from Nicole about her two red tails being housed together before she rescued them, really not a good idea. If housed together they can share sickness, one becomes more dominant than the other and can inflict harm to the other, the less dominant can stop eating... the list of why it's bad goes on and on and on. And really they are easier to care for when separated I find.... you can keep better track of who is who, who is eating and pooping, who isn't, if one get sick, if they are separate it will decrease the chance of the other getting sick, and if they were rescues, there is probably going to be health reasons to why they shouldn't mate. Plus, I wouldn't want to clean the mess up after a boa gives birth... Gross

6. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Your cage size plan is good though I would make it a bit deeper at least 3'. Most problems with keeping snakes together result from small caging and younger snakes. Most adults will not harm one another, though for health reasons you should make sure they're in the best of health before keeping them together. I keep most adult snakes together though for breeding and take the male out when the female is gravid, until a few months after laying/birthing. Though this is touch and go, you really need to keep an eye on them and make sure that they are not having adverse affects on one another.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

yeah, record keeping becomes difficult, disease spreads, and of course, breeding, since you're getting a pair, will be inevitable. Then you have to make sure the gravid mother has correct temps/humidity and would need to remove the male anyways.

I'm assuming you would not feed them together in the same enclosure - If they inadvertently grab each other instead of the food item, the result will be quite disastrous.

8. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

I'd separate them. It makes everything safer and easier... Not to mention it IS the most responsible thing to do. Leaving them together leaves the chance of reproduction.. The fact that these snakes ended up at a rescue alone should tell you that that's the last thing you should do with them..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.