This Disappears When Logged In

Wow the Crazy Things People Do

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by crazylady, Sep 10, 2009.

1. crazylady

crazylady Member

Ok I have posted pics of my Alamo on my profile I got the best pics as I could of the injury you can see on the left side of his head where the scars are healing I think you will be able to see ok. I couldn't get any after shots because Alamo didn't want to eat last night I think it is because I soaked him/her in the tub first I thought maybe if the injury was softened up before feeding it wouldn't pull and bleed, you know maybe be flexable? I also think Alamo is about to shed his/her eyes are kinda cloudy but also the scales are looking kinda dull. I am fairly confident that we are about to shed because it is very similar to what my dragons start to look like right before they shed. If I am wrong please speak up!
    I am not sure how to do the whole quote thing so I will just say thanks to Liz I have checked it out and there is a vet about 45 min from me I will check in with them.

Oh yea and I am feeding live adult mice. Alamo won't look twice at anything that isn't running around. As it is the mouse has to be in the feeding container with Alamo for about 15-20 min before it even becomes interesting to him/her.
    Also I don't like the idea of feeding prekilled (store bought) things because you can never be sure if the animal was in good health before it was frozen. Any one who could help me with prekilling my own stuff...It seems cruel but I'm ok with it. I was thinking maybe just putting a mouse in a plastic baggie and putting it in the freezer? if there is a more humane way just tell me. It is easy for me to let the snake kill it because it is nature but...well that's me being sentimental.
    Thanks again to everyone!!!

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yes, sounds like your snake is about to shed, which means it probably won't eat until it does, and might be a bit grouchy so no handling. Keep that humidity up! Mist a lot.

3. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Check out this link for feeding prekilled things Feeding Prekilled vs. Live Prey
    And freezing anything for an extended period will kill parasites and/or bacteria that a feeder mouse or rat had. It is SO worth it to do. Yes, ball pythons can be stubborn with it, but keep at it! You don't want this snake to go through any more trauma.

4. wiccabrat

wiccabrat Member

Mine all have water bowls big enough for them to soak in as they chose and they all use them. I find you don't have to mist and such if they can soak themselves, at least I've never had a problem, and they do poop in their water 98% of the time. Makes clean up easy.
    Nice Save BTW!!!

5. crazylady

crazylady Member

Thanks so much everyone I will do all of the suggested reading over the weekend and see about feeding prekilled stuff again! have to admit I was kind of a novice at the whole snake thing I am so glad I found this site and all of you are so great! I will keep everyone up to date on how things are going Oh and I do have a bowl in the enclosure but Alamo only likes to get like the first quarter of its body in it and doesn't soak. I have to admit it seems kinda weird after all of you have said that they like to get in their dish and soak by themselves however Alamo does seem to like the tub. More room maybe?

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I really think the animal has been through more than enough pain and stress, feeding live prey just isn`t worth the risk.... Yes, put the mouse in a small plastic bag for a few minutes, the snake should hopefully accept it if it`s still warm... They CAN be stubborn feeders sometimes, but well worth the effort trying pre-killed or f/t.

7. wiccabrat

wiccabrat Member

One of mine was eating live before we got her and it took almost a month before she'd eat the frozen/thawed but she eventually did. We just kept trying every 3/4 days till she was hungry enough to try it, now there's no problems. I had one who was torn up by a mouse once (before I got her) and she never got over it, 3 years later she still had a nasty scar and was afraid of even the frozen mice.
    Mine all soak in different ways at different times, some we don't see in the bowl for weeks and than boom, some only soak parts of themselves, but I figure they know what they want.

8. crazylady

crazylady Member

Is that all I do, or do I put it in the freezer too? sorry I know I sound stupid but I want to make sure I've got it right. If I do freeze it how do I warm it back up?

9. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I am glad that you found him! DEFINITELY change over to pre-killed mice! Otherwise you risk Alamo being hurt again! Pre-killed mice that you can buy from a store are usually just fine, as someone said, freezing them kills anything that could harm the snake. If you do want to kill your own there are a few ways. Usually when I have to do it, I put them in a plastic bag and in the freezer. Then, to thaw them back out I let them sit out, usually under some warm water. Then to heat them I run them (in the bag still) under hot water until they are slightly warm to the touch all the way through (I usually feel their stomach and spine to be sure that there are no cold or still frozen spots inside).

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You don`t really need to put it in the freezer, it will suffocate in the plastic bag in just a few mnutes, so it will still be warm... If you DO freeze it, just place in some warm water as Katt`s said for a few minutes... ( In a small plastic bag).

11. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

If you only put them in the plastic bag, make sure that they do not chew/scratch holes in it! Then they will not die! haha

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

They will die from eating the plastic bag, Kitty! Seriously, put them in a small plastic container, make sure you seal it air-tight ( tape around the top), it should work o.k. I think... Or better still, just buy frozen and defrost and warm them up as described previously...

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

In all seriousness, simply allowing the mouse to freeze to death is a slow and painful process! Instead just put it in the bag and whack it against a hard surface and its over quickly.
    And it will still be warm enough to interest the snake.

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Thanks Merlin. I was about to say, freezing to death is NOT a nice way to go. A swift whack to the head is much much much faster. "whack and serve"

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I do the hit on the head too, but I guess some people can`t bring themselves to do that, so suffocation is "better" I would imagine! ( For the person).

16. Merlin

Even though an animal is intended to be food it should be treated with respect and dispatched as humanely as possible. There are a number of quick efficient ways to dispatch a feeder without allowing it to suffer.

17. crazylady

crazylady Member

Ok I have done the reading and I have read that it is easy to put them down into a CO2 charged bucket and it can be done with dry ice any one tried? I agree with the freezer and don't think I can whack it. but is suffocation humane? I have heard that the Co2 is instant!
    Any one thought about using a food saver? would the suction make it fast? just thoughts I havn't tried any of this.

18. Merlin

You can use dry ice in a closed container. The CO2 displaces the oxygen and the rodent just goes to sleep. It is the method most frozen suppliers use.

19. angrykitten

angrykitten Elite Member

CrazyLady,

I have not been around for a while (sorry everyone!), but I logged in today and this is the first post I am reading...
    It is so great that Alamo found you (and your father in law) as a new mommy to take good care of him.
    I got my first (reptile) ball python this past March and I can't say how much I love her! People look at me in a strange way when I say that she is a "sweetheart" and that I think she is so "cute", but truly, this is the way I view Sibilla. She has been as easy as she can possibly be...

I saw you are getting the best advices from the Forum experts, my only input would be that if you manage to feed "frozen/thawed" you would be so happy, you would never want to go back to "fresh kill" again.

20. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

A number of the people here (myself included) buy their feedders from Rodentpro. Being as you only have one snake, it may not be cost effective to buy from them, inless you want to stock up and buy food for a couple of months for Alamo. I find that it is much cheaper and cleaner for me to just go to the website, click on the item I want and have it delivered to my door. The feeders come in plastic zip-lock bags and can easily be placed into a freezer for later use.

A CO2 chamber is a swift and easy way to dispatch your feeders. I have not tried it yet but as I said, I am very satisfied with Rodentpro. If you are interested, you can check out their site--www.rodentpro.com. Good luck and I hope this helps.