This Disappears When Logged In

Would You Buy a HC Calendar

Discussion in 'General' started by Moshpitrockchick, Feb 19, 2008.

?

Would you buy a calendar to support HC?

1. Yes, I would like one

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Yes, I would like more than one

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. No thanks

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Re: Would You Buy a HC Calendar?

The problem with that idea is that it would raise the cost considerably. With a single mass produced design the printer sets it up one time and lets it run. With individual designs each design will be another set up charge and interruptions in the printing.
    It would get expensive rather quickly

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Yeah I know... Now I do have a brother in law in the printing business. You want me to see if he can get us some kind of deal?

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That goes without question Shell! lol See what he can offer in regards to price. I know that getting good quotes that are reflective of true costs would be best done once we have the layout and images in place, but preliminary costs would be great as well.

4. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

They should have standard calendar sizes or templates. It's a very commonly ordered item. If they do, just make sure you get a quote for four color bleed on all pages. And ask for quotes on several different numbers, 500, 1000, 5000, 20000, 50000. It can't hurt to get prices on all of those, and it will show you the difference in price per item vs. quantity.

Also, he may have more than one type of press, and each different press will give you a different cost and a different quality. You can get samples to see the quality of each different procedure. Then you have more options that you can weigh against cost.

Actually, Rich, you should get price quotes and samples from as many printers as you can.

Also, if you decide what you can afford before-hand, then you already have the size of the calendar set, so you won't have to go back and try to redesign it. (That usually doesn't work very well.)

5. rick1iam

rick1iam Subscribed User Premium Member

There' a lot of good ideas here. I have been involved with a lot of good ideas that never get off the ground.

I'll commit one hundred bucks to just do it. Make another poll for pics, content, design or what ever. Your thoughts & efforts are commendable. Just do it. Contact me & the check is in the mail.

Thank you.

6. Rich

Thats very nice of you Rick. The main goal right now is to get a staple idea together, and create the base project from the images that coincide with the intent.

Once I have the images, I can put together, using various templates, many different designs.

If the cost to print isn't compatible with reality for an item that may not sell, we can always go the dreaded cafepress route.

I do not like those prefab sites, like cafepress, but they are a guaranteed resource.

Ideally, I would like to self print. I will get several quotes once I know what we actually need. I don't want to try and get quotes on an idea that isn't even established yet.

One thing you will find out about HC Rick is that we try to follow through on everything we start. A while back I was asked to create and implement a classifieds system on HC. I started out quickly by tossing together some classified forums. I am currently in the process of coding an actual classifieds system, which is what the members had expected from the beginning. lol

We do pretty much everything we discuss. It just takes longer than expected sometimes. ;)

7. fire2225ems

ok we are going out with my sister and brother in-law tonight and I will bring it up, and see what he says.

8. fire2225ems

Ok spoke with Bill last night about the calendar. He made a lot of suggestions. Including that we probably don't want to use his company for 2 reasons, they are a little more expensive than most around here, and also because it is an election year and they get the majority of the political jobs around here they are going to be pretty busy....

some other suggestions he made were to try and go for the 8 1/2X11" pages. Because you would be able to fit more pages on each press can cut down costs of a larger size easily by a third. if not more. But when you put the 2 sheets together it would still make a decent sized calendar at 17X11 when open.

He also suggested that we try to get it printed in July as that is a slow month for most printing companies. Everyone has usually just gotten their annual reports out and haven't started on autumn stuff yet. Not to mention that its summer and most businesses usually take it easier then. Because the printing companies won't have as much business coming in they are more likely to be more competitive with the quotes.

Another thing he suggested was that instead of using coated paper to go with uncoated. He said that for an uncoated sheet (full size sheet with 4-8 calendar pages on it) will usually run $.50-.75 each. Whereas the coated sheet will run $.75-$1.25 each. Not only that the uncoated sheets are more eco-friendly and since we are a reptile group would probably be something we would be interested in.

I am sure there are other things that he suggested but I can't remember them all this morning, not to mention that it was pretty noisy at Fudruckers while we were talking...
    He did say that Rich could feel free to e-mail him with any questions, also offered to take a look at it and make up specs for us to give to the printers that should help cut costs as well. He also seemed to think that some of the printers in the Mass area might be a bit more expensive than some, and offered to give us some names for companies around here.

Oh and yeah, forgot... If the # printed is above 500 the price will go down a little bit but usually anything about 1000 you will see a decent drop in cost per calendar.

9. Rich

Thanks Shell! I will keep that email addy in my message box for the time being.

While I know the more you buy, the cheaper it gets, I just don't see a first order of 1000+ calendars happening. lol Even at 4-5 per calendar, we would be looking at a 3-5K investment into something that may not have as much a demand as people are likely to believe. lol

I can see a couple hundred in the first order, and if they sell, then consider going after a larger quantity.

10. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Yeah, we wouldn't want to order 1,000 calendars for 2009 and then end up with 700 left over, haha.

We just had a reptile specialty shop open up in Spokane, they are usually short lived but I bet if his business is going good I could get him to carry the calendar if we get them to him for a good price. I've also got a mom & pop pet store that MIGHT carry them, but I've never liked dealing with the people who work there.

Thanks for all that info Shell!

11. fire2225ems

np! glad I could help

12. rick1iam

rick1iam Subscribed User Premium Member

Rich I'm not the puter savvy type and well that about sums it up. I understand there's a lot to work out. I just thought if a few bucks would help get it off the ground and that I would just throw it out here.

It's an open offer. If & when the time comes give me a shout. I appreciate the work put into this forum.

13. Moshpitrockchick

14. fire2225ems

all three are cool pics, but I think that with the first 2 that would be a whole lot of white for the background of a calendar....

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. I don't really care much for the whited out background. Too stark.
    And while the fancy psychedelic lighting effects in the third one are interesting I don't think I would care to look at them for a whole month.
    Personally I think we should go for good quality pictures of the animals in a natural type of setting.
    Sort of a National Geographic type of stuff.

16. Moshpitrockchick

Well then you guys had better pitch in to get me a plane ticket to Costa Rica. ;)
    Unless of course you want a calendar of species native to Washington...I have a feeling that that would only appeal to Nicole and myself.

17. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I think the animals on the white background are awesome! Very simple and elegant. I also love the close up of the snake.

HAHA shell, i could have told you all about that. I deal with printers and paper every day for work ;)

18. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Personally, I like animals on white, but I'm a minimalist, and a designer. I think most people just want something bright with energy.

Honestly, I think that you should just shoot people's pets. Put out a casting call for reptiles that people often own - ball pythons, iguanas, red eared sliders, chameleons, that sort of thing, and have people bring their animals to you. Have a studio area set up for each animal, perhaps that looks like their native habitat. It wouldn't take much to get a colored backdrop and some props. You could even use the same one for different animals that come from the same environment, and just change the placement of rocks or something to make it look different in the picture. Then it's just a matter of getting a good shot of the animal.

You get something that looks like a grand field herping adventure, the owners come away with a fantastic portrait (or whatever you'll be paying them with) and it sets the whole calendar up so that you can put care sheet information in there. Win-win-win! ;) Plus, by being able to control the environment, you can get some really clean, eye appealing, professional shots you might not necessarily get in the field.

Just a suggestion.

19. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

That's true, you could bribe your models with free photos rights and a calendar....

20. Moshpitrockchick

I'm afraid it would look tacky to have a bunch of realistic props and a neutral background. I know that i'll need atleast a branch or whatever because a lot of animals aren't comfortable on a flat surface, but I don;t want to try too hard.

I've got about 5 photographers coming over for free chinese food and to help with some studio set up, and I've got a pastel boa lined up, along with my herps. I'm going to try to shoot with several different background and lighting techniques and see what you guys like.

I personally like the idea of the subject against a contrasting back, but its not about what I want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.