This Disappears When Logged In

Would You Buy a HC Calendar

Discussion in 'General' started by Moshpitrockchick, Feb 19, 2008.

?

Would you buy a calendar to support HC?

1. Yes, I would like one

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Yes, I would like more than one

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. No thanks

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Re: Would You Buy a HC Calendar?

Have we got any idea just what sort of a price range we are talking about?

2. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Personally, I would try to stay $10 and under, unless it's going to be something incredibly special. I don't think people would go for much more than that.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats about what I was thinking.
    The calendar shops that spring up around Christmas run about $12-$13, but they are printing enormous quantities.

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Another cost we have to look at is shipping costs, if we can get the calendars for $10/ea but it costs almost as much to ship it that is kind of counter productive.

Devon had the great idea of selling adspace on the calendars to the bigger companies that sponsor him or the ones that sponsor us on HC. If we worked it out right the printing costs could be slashed by sponsors allowing us to sell the calendars for a fair price here.

5. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

That's a good idea, as long as you can get it so it doesn't look tacky. I have total faith in you, but I do have to say that I've seen some really awful looking advertisement calendars that I would never buy (they were free, though). A good way to go with that would be to limit colors they can use, and use a uniform size. Matching what they're selling to a relevant picture is also good to do if you can.

I don't think shipping a calendar would be more than a couple of dollars inside the US, though I could be wrong. As long as it's reasonable you should be able to charge shipping on top of the calendar price with no problem.

And, you can actually get orders for the calendars and have the printer print specific numbers and mail them out for you. I believe that cuts costs, at least a little. I'd have to do a little more research on that, though. You could show a few preview pages online and advertise that pre-ordering a calendar gets you free shipping. Then have a stock available that people can buy later, but charge them individually for shipping.

Also consider what you'll have to do to ship outside of the US.

6. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

trust me...this thing will be top notch...i cannot stand things being done lamely! haha

7. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Now I'm all excited. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

8. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This is still in the idea stages....I thought. lol

I could also configure several different layouts once we have a selection of images to choose from.

Advertisers are a good idea, and could be incorporated easily without actually taking away from the calendar itself. Once we decide on how we want to play this out, I could toss layouts together as "samples" and then we could discuss them in more detail and choose what it is we all prefer.

Once we have the actual layout handy, I can get quotes on getting them printed, and in what quantities.

Once we have stats like that, I can begin working the advertisers angle. That won't fly however until we have a product to pitch.

Don't forget, we can also make these available for redistribution on other sites. Thats another angle we could persue. If the calendars look nice, we could offer a wholesale discount so existing site owners could then sell them as well and gain profit from their members. That would allow us another avenue of revenue. Thats just something else to think about. lol

9. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

I really like the idea... Would make wonderful christmas/Bday gifts for all my fellow herpers... as long as it was clean. Too many kids running around my house these days.... SO what about holding an hc contest... Best herp pics without owners? Winners get their herps in the calander (and total bragging rights) maybe a discount for each of the winners selected? Im pretty sure there would be lots of submissions. Who wouldnt want their herp to be ms or mr july? And of course with the free pics everyone would submit. We would have a part in supporting HC.... Just a thought

10. Moshpitrockchick

A lot of people like this idea but I have so many misgivings about it, everything would have to be super high quality and I know that a lot of us can take a CUTE picture, but if its going to be something with the HC name on it it has to be high quality too.
    I really prefer the professional photog angle of it all.

I am fond of the caresheet idea with one herp per month and the field shots idea.

11. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I can take all kinds of pictures,,,, some even cute, lol,, as far as quality,, fat chance, lol.
    I am not a photographer in the slightest sense. I know I would not want pictures of my quality on a calendar. lol

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I'm with Lacey on this one. If I'm going to have a calendar on my wall, I really don't want it to have "average" quality images of random people and their pet reptiles, or someone's bearded dragon doing something funny...taken with an everyday camera. I think it ought to look like something I bought at the zoo or from an organization, not something I made in highschool. But then again, having a variety of calendars available means there's something for everyone's taste....if we can afford to do it that way.

I'm also with Merlin in that it depends a lot on cost. I'd buy one just to support HC, but without that angle then cost plays an even bigger role...as does quality.

13. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The idea of member submissions is not on the table right now. That would not sell. Professional quality is the only angle I am considering. I have to front the money for these calendars, that means that we need something done professionally.

14. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I cant wait to see what you guys come up with! This is exciting :)

15. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I agree with Rich,, if I wanted a calendar of less than good quality photos, I can have my kids make me one at school, with the pics they take here....

Dont get me wrong I am not being mean about the calendars they make me, lol. I find them priceless, but I am their mother and they are my kids, lol.

I would love to have a few that stick out and grab peoples attention with the beautiful photos.
    I would also love to see the cost kept at a decent price, as i think it would be nice to have a few extra laying around to hand out when I do adoptions.
    So I am a huge fan of the caresheet ones and the feeding ones.
    Has anyone thought of the desktop calendars?

16. Moshpitrockchick

What are you looking for layout wise?
    Like a desk blotter with a huge calendar or something small that stands up on your desk?

Would you want spaces to write on or just a picture background with small numbers in a corner to tell you the date?

17. nicole

nicole Elite Member

both actually.....

18. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I like a lot of the calendar ideas mentioned in Rich's post, and thought I might as well toss in a few more. I think the species theme would be cool (like the leopard gecko example used), but maybe other broader themes as well, like a calendar full of lizards, or another one with 12 different snakes. You could also do one with all completely different reptiles, maybe 12 of the most popular in the hobby or something. Granted, I'm probably only going to buy one calendar, so as long as there's at least one out there that's appealing I'm good :)

19. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

I love the calendar idea, and would definitely buy at least one. A wall calendar format would be my preference. Personally, I favor most the caresheet-themed calendar idea. Pick the 12 most commonly-kept herps (to appeal to the broadest range of people), provide quality pictures, care information and links to find HerpCenter's full caresheets. Great care information is, in my view, HerpCenter's strongest quality (well, and the amazing people here, and the fact that it is a safe, family-friendly -- heck, just plain friendly -- online environment).

I actually wouldn't view ads as a detraction at all, if they were done well. One of the things that lots of keepers (especially new ones) want to know is, "Where is a good place to get X? Which online businesses can I trust?" I would view ads with HerpCenter's name behind them as a good indication of some businesses I would likely be pleased to spend my money with.

This is a great idea!

20. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't know how it would affect costs, but would there be any way of allowing each person to create their own calendar? Have a bank of pictures and they get to choose which pictures they want in their calendar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.