This Disappears When Logged In

Would love your opinion

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by jacky, Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

As some of you might know,I would like a blizzard corn,but just because of their colour(pure white).
    Well,for the last three days I was thinking hard about getting a Texas rat leucistic instead,because I like the black/blue eyes better.I saw some great pics of them and I also saw some babies in a reptile store in town (from the lady who had Nikita for a while).
    I read about the Texas rats and I know that they have a temper and like to bite,but most of them calm down when they reach adulthood.
    So,what do you think I should do? I wouldn't mind the biting bit,as long as they do it when still babies.But the question is,will they still do it later?! Some article said that most of them lose the agressive behaviour when they reach 1-2 years of age.
    Now I need your suggestions.My heart really says yes,because it would be a challenge and I REALLY love them!But,please,tell me your true opinion,thanks! :D

2. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I love corns, but you're right, the leucistic Texas rats are gorgeous. I have heard they're very nippy, but I have no personal experience with them. Some people like nippy snakes and some don't. I think the key to deciding would be how much you might mind always being bitten/struck at just in case the rat snake doesn't calm down as an adult. I've heard of corns who never calm down too though, so who ever really knows how it will turn out with snakes that are bought as babies? :p

3. PCar

PCar Elite Member

Leusictics are nippy as hatchlings up to about yearling stage, but with lots of handling and great care, they will tame down and become just as docile, sometimes even more so, than corns. I currently have normal colored texas rats...both hatchlings and grown adults, and I am going to be looking at getting a pair of leucistic TX Rats on Sunday.

If you want a snake that is pure white and will not develop any other color, that is the way to go. Blizzard corns will develop yellow pigments in the neck and down the sides like Snows do, and also, some will develop a faint yellow coloration outlining where the normal saddles would be.

[​IMG]

This picture isn't all that great, but you can faintly see the yellow saddle outlines on the main part of the body. This girl was pure white when I got her as a hatchling, and she is now close to a year old, and the yellow is getting more pronounced with each shed. A larger picture of this girl can be found here

4. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Thanks my friends,this sounds great and it's what I wanted to hear,lol! I think I made up my mind :D
    Paul,would you post us some pics of the ones you get on Sunday?Thanks.I'm very curious to see them!

5. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

My Texas rat snake is just a normal one, and he doesnt bite....but he does rattle his tail like a rattlesnake....which can scare you...but he is a big baby....Lyn

6. PCar

PCar Elite Member

Most Colubrids will do this tail rattling thing. it is just a way of saying that you just scared me and I am ready to defend myself if you do it again. All of my Corns do this, and so do my Texas Rat snakes.

If I find what I am looking for, I will deffinately post up some pictures.

7. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

My Nikita used to do the tail rattle a lot in the beginning,even when stepping too close to her terrarium.But now she is the one that wants to be close ,LOL.And the tail rattling stopt,even when I clean her terrarium or change the water,or even when I take her out.
    I do believe that a TX rat leucistic will get used to handling and sooner or later stops biting and rattling.Well,we'll see anyway.Maybe there are some more people with an experience to tell about those snakes? :)

8. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Julianne,

I wouldn't mind a bitey snake, as long as it knows when to let go! (lol)

Steve

9. goldrockin_froggie

goldrockin_froggie Well Established Member

My boa Flicka is a hissy striky girl in her cage, she will be getting bigger but not hugh, i don't like these attitudes in a snake i stop enjoying them. I would go with the corn myself.

10. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I don't know...I find the ones that put on a show to be kind of funny. I'm always really tickled by the incredible show a big pine snake at out local museum puts on when he's taken out of his enclosure. The hissing alone is incredible! He's got an attitude like you wouldn't believe, and I love it...of course, I'm not the one trying to get him out of the enclosure either. :rolleyes:

I'm with you, Steve...bitey isn't too bad as long as they let go! :)

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ummmm it depends on the size of the snake! Bitey LITTLE snakes are funny. Bitey BIG snakes HURT! :eek:

Besides when the snake bites you it may be doing damage to itself as well by breaking off teeth.
    Right Jem? ;)

And as Diggy said, if the snake bites you a lot it's no longer enjoyable to deal with. Most people end up not handling them and never take them out of the cage.

That said the only leucistic Texas Rat I ever personally dealt with belonged to Bob Clark. The thing was as calm as could be and was able to be handled and laid on the ground in front of large group of people without making a mad dash for escape.

12. PCar

PCar Elite Member

Most Texas Rats that are in captivity from hatchlings to adult hood will be like that. The major problem you run into with them being bitey is when you get them from the wild. The 18 babies that I just hatched out are incredibly docile and very easily handled, and I am hoping that the two I am keeping and the ones that I am selling will keep that attitude long into adult hood.

13. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

That sounds great Paul and Merlin.Now I'm really looking forward to it.I'm sure,in the years to come and as the baby grows,I will write about its additude.
    Well,but if they really are so docile and friendly as I read and mine will turn out being nice and lovable,I can't use the name "Diva" if it's a girl,LOL! That would have suited that kind of snake they say it's the meanest of the rats.
    But don't misunderstand,I'm not taking the snake because I wanted that name,LOL.
    I'm actually VERY happy that they can be different than they say. :D
    Maybe I call it "Blacky",lol.(Just a joke,I hate that name,really.Reminds me of my childhood. :eek: )
    ;) :)

14. Merlin

Just remember that each snake can be different. Even if a species is generally known to be docile you can have individuals where the name "Diva" would fit!

15. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

We have a female boa that can be a little hissy, but to me thats the challange ... picking her up with out getting bit. She has never stuck me yet! Of course I do not let her know that I might be afraid. And when I drop a feeder, as I have, I have had good luck reaching in to get it without being struck. I like the challange! I am careful if they do strike not to pull away too quikly so I do not hurt the snake.

Steve

16. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

I guess that's the fascinating part of the hobby,getting to know their characters,specially when you raise them and see them grow up,it's so great and I would call this a challenge,too.

17. PCar

PCar Elite Member

That is the best thing about raising anything. A lot of people ask me if it is better to get a hatchlings, yearling, or an adult. I just ask them what they plan on doing with the snake...if they want to breed right away, then an adult is the way to go, but if they want a pet first, and then breed later down the road, then a hatchling or yearling is the way to go. I suggest any first time snake owner should get a hatchling so that they are able to learn the attitude, and personality of the snake as the snake grows up instead of jumping right in the middle of a snake that may already have a set personality or attitude because of the way it was handled.

18. Merlin

I agree with Paul. I always recommend that novices start with a hatchling or juvenile. They can get used to the snake as it grows and don't immediately get intimidated by a larger snake.
    Plus if it bites it doesn't do any damage!

19. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Yup Merlin, I've picked out my share of Boa teeth! :p

Just get the Ratsnake Jacky...you know you've made up our mind already! lol :p
    And post pics when you get the little one...

Paul, I'm still waiting for pics of my little baby, hint, hint...;)

20. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Yep,I already ordered it :D .They hatched not so long ago.Maybe I will have also a camera until the new baby arrives. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.