This Disappears When Logged In

Would It Be Wise for a Person with NO Python Experience to Buy a 4 Yr. Old?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Geo7809, Mar 3, 2010.

1. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Re: Would It Be Wise for a Person with NO Python Experience to Buy a 4 Yr.

While what jono said is true in many cases, however some places are quite the opposite. The place I got my bp from is reputable and noted for having some of the best cared-for herps in the business, and I talked to another place about not feeding their Russian torties iceberg lettuce only and he was absolutely genuine in reassuring me that the torties were given a variety of greens and they never feed iceberg. So some places are really good. You just have to find them. On the other hand, another shop by me keeps their bp's in a five gallon tank with no basking area and probably poor temps. Some places are gems, but more often than not, they are few and far between.

2. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Yea you guys arent kidding. i wish i had money to open my own pet store and hire you guys and ladies to work there, people that care! By any chance does anyone know a web site where i can find pics of the morphs? im gonna do a search now.

3. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

I just found some pics, some look wild! i cant wait to see them live. Does their behavior change due to the breeding that makes them look that way?

4. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I'm fairly certain that doesn't affect them in that way though I suppose it's possible! It's really more animal to animal differences in personality

5. Parkerwall

Parkerwall Active Member

pet supplies plus usually sells them for 59.98

6. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Im gonna check them out thanks. I just want to be sure that it wouldnt cause any mental problems with them but im sure they probably wouldnt be commonly sold if it did.

7. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

The only morphs that can get weird are the spiders. They will have a head wobble and just act dumb. Jasballs has a great line of pastels. I bought one from him awhile ago and it is a great snake. The pastels are a great co-dom starter if you ever want to get into breeding. He is on the classified section here. I am glad you are looking away from pet shops. There are very few that care about the animals.
    Gary

8. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Thanks for the info, i think im going to go to the next Midwest all animal expo in 2 weeks to adopt my new roommate

9. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

Good luck and let us know what you get.
    Gary

10. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

I will, i'll have pics and all.

11. jono

jono Elite Member

i think the only time you might run into a morph with problems is if the breeder is inbreeding them. that, however is mostly unheard of becuase those who are breeding the morphs are doing it for the love of the hobby, not profits.

12. jono

jono Elite Member

also this is very true! i wasnt trying to bash all pet shops by any means! lol. theres is a wonderful pet shop in the next town over from me and anytime im in the area i have to stop in just to look. they have anything and everything in that place, from a koi pond with a waterfall to a full grown burm with a 15'x15' "jungle room" with yet another waterfall, a sloth and a giant turtle! and every single one of their animals are taken care of properly and they spare nothing to make sure each animal is comfortable there.
    and im sure there are plenty of other great places like this out there. but the fact is that there are also too many places that take the meaning of pet store industry to a whole new level.

13. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Exactly! :)

14. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

i'd almost rather buy a python from a chain just to save him! By the way this will be my set up for him let me know if you guys think this is good: 40gal breeder tank, aspen substrate, 100w red infarared heat lamp and UTH with a piece of slate tile over it, 2 hides (hot and cool side), a water dish in the middle (soaking and drinking), 75w regular light bulb (cool side), and a piece of drift wood from my old fish tank so he can rub against it during his shed. thats about it. good enough?

15. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

That sounds like a great set up. I would reconsider on the aspen substrate. Aspen is very dry and sucks the humidity out of the air. I like the orchid bark from Lowes or repti bark. Newspaper is also very good. The other thing to consider is are you feeding in the enclosure? If so aspen tends to stick to feeders. Depending on the undertank heater you will want a thermostat also.
    Gary

16. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Im not going to feed him in the enclosure because i read it isnt a good idea, i dont waht him to mistake my hand for a mouse one day! maybe i will try that repti bark instead, thanks. Another quick question's, how often should i expect him to poop? how long should i wait to handle him after feeding? and can i handle him while he is shedding? sorry for all the questions, i just want to be taking care of him the best way possible. Thanks again

17. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

The amount they poop has a lot to do with prey size, heat and how much they move around. I usually give it about three feedings to see if they poop. If not a couple of days before it is time to eat again I take them out and let them exercise. This will normally do the trick. I would give handling after feeding a few days to prevent regurge. As far as the shedding question it depends on the snake. The other thing is if you get a real small baby it may be nippy so be prepared. Also try to get him on F/T as soon as you can.
    Gary

18. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

cool thanks! i dont want to feel him live food, i've watched it on youtube and its just kind of mean i think, unless hes in nature or there is no other way he will eat. is it ok if i feeed him in a plastic tub then move him back to his tank when he is done swallowing the mouse or should i just feed him in his tank?

19. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

I personally feed in the enclosure due to the amount of animals that I have. The main concern when feeding in an enclosure is to make sure they can not take in substrate while eating. That is why I prefer newspaper or the orchid bark. If you want to feed in a separate tub try it, but if the snake is stressed from the move it probably won't eat. You are going to have to see what works best for your animal and adjust around their needs.
    Gary

20. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

yea, whats best for the snake is all i care about. i have the reptile carpet in there now but i know i doesnt hold humidity at all. i read aspen and repti bark are the favorites. i just have a bearded dragon right now and i definitly dont want the snake getting close to him! I cant wait to pick my python out, should be another week or so!