This Disappears When Logged In

Would It Be Wise for a Person with NO Python Experience to Buy a 4 Yr. Old?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Geo7809, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Hi everyone, well i was at my local pet shop buying crickets for my beardie and i went to check out the 7 month old ball python I'm debating on getting. Well he is gone but they have a 4yr. old that someone gave back to them because the person is going away to school supposedly. I noticed a mark at the end of his tail, it almost looks like a white scar. could it possibly be an injury from the past? And would it be a wise idea for a person with no snake experience to start with a larger one? i already have a 40gal. breeder tank, a 100w infrared heat lamp and UTH. besides the 2 hides and a soaking bowl what else do i need. thanks your your advise!

2. jono

jono Elite Member

Re: Would It Be Wise for a Person with NO Python Experience to Buy a 4 Yr.

Im no snake expert either but i have been looking into ball pythons recently. Maybe before you make the jump to buy the snake you could go to the pet shop every day er so to see the snake and observe it, handle it if they let you, etc. Ask them if its eating regularly and has any health problems. ask if you can see it eat to make sure you're buying a healthy snake. I dont really think the age of the snake will affect how it takes to being rehomed, as long as you take proper care of it.
    as far as you having no experience, I think if you have done your research and are sure your set up is in proper order then you should be fine. only difference is that you will have a big snake from the start, instead of raising it and watching it "grow up". A bigger snake does mean more responsibility, but if you are confident in your abilities then you can do it.

3. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Yes I've been doing a lot of research and I will definitely be asking those questions when and if I decide to make the purchase. thanks

4. LokiBuds

LokiBuds Member

The only advice i would give it that you will most likely need a bigger tank. Our Ball is just over a yr and a half and shes just over 3 feet long and a 20g was way to small for her. She couldn't stretch out. So we bought her an 80g and shes loving it. Its a bit pricey but it all depends on how big the snake is. Make sure you get all the information on it. The pet store also usually has a feeding sheet that they mark down and if you do get the snake make sure you get one and if they don't offer one then make sure they give you all the information on it.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

He has a 40 gal not a 20.
    The gear you have should be just fine.
    I would not have any reservations about someone getting an older BP. As docile as they are, unless they have been mistreated, it should not be an issue. And getting an older one you have already bypassed the nervous hatchling stage.
    I would handle the snake at the shop and see how it reacts to you.

6. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

I should probably wait to handle it becaues he's shedding now. How big of a hide do you get for a snake that big?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Please do not use text message abbreviations.
    As for the hide size, Ball pythons like their hides snug. They like to be able to touch the sides on at least 3 sides.

8. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Sorry just a bad habit, I didn't know I was getting graded on grammar, lol. I was looking a some of those exo terra caves and they don't look big enough. ill figure something out. Is the green terrarium liner good 4 them or is there something they would like better?

9. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

The green liner is fine. And you are not being graded on grammar. We only ask to refrain from text speak as we have alot of members from different countries that may not understand it or that English is a second language. No worries.

10. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

It sounds as if you are really thinking of getting the older, larger python.

I agree with everyone here who has said, handle him, know if he is feeding OK, and I would also get him a checkup health wise, for mites, internal parasites etc.

Good luck!

By the way, I think it's OK to say OK...that's universal language by now. Laugh out Loud.:)

11. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I think with snakes as long as they have been treated right(especially a ball python) getting an older one will be fine! They aren't as nervous as say an iguana where you almost need to have them get used to you when they are babies for your own safety!

We got Maru and she was already about 2 feet so she wasn't really a baby anymore. She's as docile as can be! But I agree with everyone, just make sure the snake is healthy and eating! That's more important than the age thing!

12. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Yea I like the big guy, I'm going to go back when he's done shedding to handle him. I hope his previous owner was good to him.

13. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

well i went to the pet shop today and talked to the girl that works there and she advised me not to get him because they think he may have not been taken care of properly. she suggested that i start with a younger one since i dont have the handling experience. they have already ordered one so when he arrives i'll have a new family member! this give me time to set up his new home. im pretty excited!

14. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Even though younger ones are more nippy? Interesting, ok!

15. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Yea thats what she suggested, this is alll a new learning experience for me and i really dont know whats best yet. the last younger one they had was great, i was handling hime for the first time and he was very active. the older one they have there is really having a bad shed and the guy they are selling it for wants to sell the snake with the tank he's in and i dont need that, plus it a small 20gal. im going to put the one i get in a 40 gal.

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

also, take what the pet shop people say with a grain of salt. There are a lot of decent pet shops with knowledgeable employees, and just as many with staff who know nothing about the animals they are selling.

An adult should not be a problem, especially as you say you already have what is needed, and have been doing research, something many owners don't do until AFTER the acquisition.

Even if it was mistreated, that is no guarantee of poor temperament. We took in a ball with cigarette burns, and he is to this day, the only one who has never bitten, struck at or attempted to bite me (or anyone). Not to say they are all so nice, but in general, they are pretty laid-back snakes.

And of course, if you have more questions, the HC people will be glad to help you out.

17. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

I really want to thank you all for your help. The only problem is that the owner gave it to the pet shop to sell and he wants $225 for the python and his little 20gal cage and he doesnt want to separate. i can get the little one they ordered for $80. if i did decide to go with the older snake and they can sell him seperate from the tank, he seems to be going through a bad shed (very spotty over his body), should i wait until he is done shedding?

18. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

Are these normal ball pythons? The prices that you are quoting for a normal ball are ridiculous. A used 20 long should go for $20 and at best that is a $100 snake if it is a female. If it is a male way less if not free. You can get a nice morph for $225 from a reputable breeder. I don't know your pet shop and some are very good. However, they are not some place in my opinion to buy animals. I was in IL in Sept and went to the All Pet Expo at DuPage county fairgrounds. There was plenty of snake breeders there with beautiful animals. It sounds like you really want a ball and that is great. I would see if there is an expo or show close to you and go there before buying anything. You will be able to talk to the people that produced the snake and have a passion for them. If you want a dog you go to a dog breeder; if you want a snake go to a snake breeder. I could keep going, but everyone is bored already. One last thing if he has been in a bad shed that long it is the pet shop not doing the right thing. Hope this helps and inspires more research.
    Gary

19. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

yes they are normal pythons, the shop i go to sells them for $80 and the petco's near buy sell them for the same. Your idea of going to a show and finding a breerder is a great one. Its funny because the staff at the store i go to is knowledgable when they tell you how to care for them but they dont practice it so well.

20. jono

jono Elite Member

unfortunately that is the standard at many pet stores. often the employees at pet stores truly are knowledgable of the animals they are selling and how to take proper care of them. however, theres is pretty much nothing a "petty" cashier or floor sales person can do to get the stores to take proper care of the animals, as that would require getting through a managers thick skull who is most likely all about profits. this is especially true at chain pet stores where one might have to go all the way up the corporate ladder just to get someone to listen to them, let alone actually make a change for the better. but this is not the case for all pet stores, there are many great ones out there, sometimes they are just few and far between.
    anyways, i second the idea that you go to a breeder! you will get the lowest price possible and a better quality animal in general. the pet stores are purchasing the snakes at these "direct from the breeder prices" then doubling it so they can make money back for the cost of taking care of it plus a profit. not to mention there are so many morphs of ball pythons that will completely blow your mind! some are expensive due to the rarity/difficulty in producing it but others are fairly cheap and are very good looking.
    and whether you get an adult or a baby, as long as you have done your research and are ready to deticate the time and care into this animal you will do just fine. good luck!