This Disappears When Logged In

Worst Day Ever!!

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by CountTripula, Nov 22, 2011.

1. CountTripula

CountTripula Elite Member

Morphine has some how managed to get out. we checked her screen top and everything their is no way she could have got out.. but she did.. is their any advice on how to lure her to where i can find her? i have looked EVERYWHERE! every box under the bed in the closet... In the dresser behind ect.. and i can not find her anywhere!!!!

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Look near your cage. They usually don't go far. Anything warm near by--electronics, fridge, etc? Small tight spaces... Remember--you most likely won't see your snake, you'll see...two square inches of your snake. If it looks too small for your snake to fit, that's probably exactly where she is! Look near any source of heat, squished between anything tight and dark. Close off the room and completely search it.

Some people suggest using flour around the edges of walls if you do not have carpeting--if the snake slithers by there will be a clear mark that it has moved through the flour. I know a few people who found their snake that way.

Leave the snakes hide out in a safe warm place. The snake might be drawn to it. Some people also suggest getting out a feeder, as that might draw out the snake

3. CountTripula

ugh still no luck.. makes me wanna cry.. hoping that i will find her in one of her hides. do you think she would venture into another part of the house?

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Most people find the snake in the same room. Focus your efforts there.
    Look under, up, inside, behind. Someone found their snake UNDER the drawers in a dresser. If you have any electronic devices in that room, check the areas where the cables come out -- it's warmest there. If there are clothes, check inside the sleeves of hanging clothes and inside shoes.
    When I had my BP out cruising the living room, I forgot about him and found him scrunched up on some cables halfway up the wall behind the GTP terrarium!
    Good luck!

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I recently had my BRB running my house for 3 weeks. I tore it apart, even had my brothers disassemble furniture and appliances to see if she had gotten into them. Turns out, she never left the reptile room, and had holed up under an old set of shelves that was bolted to the wall. The bottom was set down into plush carpet, I couldn't even find a gap to fit a pencil under (and my BRB is over an inch thick, almost 5 feet long,) so i was dead sure she could not have fit under there at all. A few weeks after i found her, I was rearranging the room to make more space, and I moved those shelves, and found a pile of dried poo, and a tattered shed skin! Her secret was out.

Most snakes don't go far at all. Only one of mine has ever succeed in leaving the room (and he did it twice, and went to the coat closet in the living room both times.)

Start by looking in all the places there is no possible way your snake could fit into.

6. CountTripula

she somehow ventured to the bathroom. I found her right at the toilet. I have decided to prevent this from happening again im taking every door in the house and putting something between the gaps so nothing can crawl in a room and nothing can crawl out. their is now holes in the wall or anything so i know if she ever gets out again she will be in that room and no other.

7. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Glad you found her!! I have a weather guard that screws onto the bottom of the door (used for outside doors) but works great as a barrier for the reptile room so that no-one can sneak out of it if they escape,..... this is similar to the one I have Shop M-D Building Products 37' x 2" Aluminum Vinyl Door Weatherstrip at Lowes.com

and since I do not use the heat vent in that room I have a piece of wood that I cut to fit inside of the vent to keep anyone from escaping that way :)

8. CountTripula

Thank you so much for all the great ideas! i will be getting this done ASAP! I refuse to have another episode like this one. any form of crack or whole is being blocked off.

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Just make sure your terrarium is excape-proof first!
    If you have to, hang a note next to the door of the room saying "Did you lock the terrarium?! GO CHECK!" so you have to read it before you leave that room.
    If you can leave a terrarium unlocked, you can accidentally leave a door open (just to quickly get something from the fridge, oh, the doorbell rang, oh .... )
    Things can happen.
    Glad you found her!!

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

So glad to hear that you found her! I agree with having something on your door like a sweep. My aunt uses these things to keep insects out of her apartment, they work great, no screws need it just slides under the door.
    Amazon.com: Twin Draft Guard Brown: Home & Garden

11. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

glad she didnt get ahold of the cat and the cat didnt get ahold of her :) yay she finally found and safe and sound :)

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am with Andrea on this. First order of business is to secure the tank and that way all the other safeguards should not be necessary.
    How is the top on your tank attached?

13. CountTripula

it is one of those screens you slid into the grove and it locks. so i dont know how she got out. it was 100% secure! Also i rather be safe than sorry next time so i am blocking anything she can crawl into.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Did you have the latch locked?
    Examine the corners of the top very closely. My brother had one of those for a while and a northern watersnake he had kept escaping out one of the back corners.
    Which thrilled his wife to no end!:rolleyes:

15. CountTripula

i will definitely get to checking the corners. This is the first time she has ever went missing from her cage in her new tank.

16. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I have one of those under the door as well. After my corn snake escaped (I found him the next day perfectly fine) I got one of these and I don't see a snake getting out of my room now.

17. Rojerlockless

Rojerlockless Active Member

Just make sure they can't get out and the problem is solved.. lol

18. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't think I would trust one of those types, they easily break and a ball python is all muscle! I would make one out of wood and use heavy duty velcro.

19. CountTripula

no need to be sarcastic Rojerlockless... Their are times when a snake will get out reguardless if you are the most careful person in the world. They are very strong!

Mld i agree! Im trying to figure out how i want her enclosure i am taking all of our snakes out of tanks and just making them an enclosure.

Kernel thankfully you two have had good experience with them so i am going and getting one! Just incase she does ever get out again i atleast would like to find her in the same room where its warm and safe!

20. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Just so you know they don't work on snakes as small as hatchling corns. Friday morning my mom found my hatchling golddust motley corn hanging from a shelving unit in her room (She's fine, thankfully one of the 5 indoor cats didn't find her first). To get where she did she had to crawl though one of the tubs air holes (Can't even stick a pencil though it), under the draft guard, across the hall, under my parents bedroom door, past the cat that sleeps with her and up the shelving unit. So, that's the third escape I have had now (thankfully I have found all 3 within 24 hours!). The first one was a yearling corn and I was in a hurry and didn't close the sliding lid good, the second one was a baby ball python and I under estimated his strength and he push the lid off the tub (it had Velcro, so I just added more and he hasn't managed to get out again) and this last one was of course the hatchling corn and crawled though air hole. I'm sure I will have more being I have 25 snakes, hopefully it will a long time before it happens again. Sorry for the long post, but hopefully everyone who reads this can learn from my mistakes just as I have.