This Disappears When Logged In

Worried...

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by makiwan, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makiwan

makiwan Elite Member

So I was holding my snake while I was watching tv, and he was acting totally normal. I looked down and noticed he had a drop of clear liquid coming out of his mouth. He might have just taken a drink of water before I picked him up, but I'm totally freaked out. It didn't seem like water, but more like mucus. What could be going on? Should I take him to the vet?

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Make sure you listen for any bubbling or wheezing sounds, it could be an upper respiratory infection.

What are the temps in the cage? Is he eating and pooping regularly? Does he open his mouth alot while breathing?

If it seems more like mucus that would definitely be a good idea to make an appointment with a vet. You want to catch a URI early so it'll be easier to treat.

3. makiwan

makiwan Elite Member

There's a cool side that's about 82-3 ish and a warm side that's 90 (the spot right under the light is a little warmer). He's shedding, eating, pooping, drinking regularly. He doesn't really open his mouth... (except for when he yawns :D) and I didn't hear any wheezing, but I wasn't trying to--I was watching tv... ok I just took him out again, and he doesn't sound like he's wheezing. Maybe I was overly nervous? Should I still get it checked out?

4. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

Just keep an eye on him. No need to freak out yet. If by the end of the week you don't witness anymore symptoms and those don't show back up then he may have just had some water. If you DO notice this happening again...then a vet visit should be in order.

5. DarkMagician207

I would keep an eye on it just in case.

Although if its making you really nervous and you're not too sure what it was and you're doubtful, its always a good idea to get things checked out. Even if it turns out to be nothing, you would still have piece of mind that he's okay. Especially if you said it seemed more mucous like than water. If you do decide on that, its a good idea to get a fecal test done too so you have all your bases covered.

Hopefully someone else will come along as well with other suggestions.

6. makiwan

makiwan Elite Member

Phew okay thanks :) I tend to worry about my pets a lot--I just want to make sure they're okay O:).

I have another random question, actually. Whenever I feed him a mouse, he seems completely unphased afterwards. His stomach doesn't really bulge and he moves around a bunch. Should I try feeding him two mice?

7. prismwolf

You should be feeding him f/t food that's at least as big around as the largest part of his body. Any smaller and he may still be hungry.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you are feeding adult mice and it leaves no bulge, I would step up to rats.
    One single prey item is preferable to multiples.
    With each prey item there will be parts that are not digestible and will pass as waste.
    With a single appropriately sized prey there is less waste and more digestible nutrition.
    However, if all you have access to are mice, multiples will work.

9. makiwan

makiwan Elite Member

I'm feeding him f/k... is that bad? The mice are slightly larger around than he is, but I wouldn't be able to tell just by looking him if he had just eaten or not. Do they sell feeder rats (is that what they're called) at normal pet stores?

10. Merlin

How long is the snake?
    F/K is fine. A bit more of a chance of passing on an internal parasite.
    After feeding it should be readily apparent from the bulge that he has eaten.
    Most pet stores sell rats but some of the chainstores won't sell to you if you tell them you are using it for a feeder.
    Or you could go in with some friends and order frozen.
    Its much cheaper.

11. makiwan

makiwan Elite Member

he's between 1.5' and 2'... won't stay still for me to measure him :) so that's a guess. how big are the rats i should feed him?

12. Merlin

You want something just about the same size or a bit larger than the snake's body at the widest point. Don't let the size of the snakes head and neck fool you.
    If you are currently feeding adult mice I would step up to a weaned rat.
    Here is a listing of the sizes of rats that my supplier has.
    rodentpro.com,llc - buy frozen rats at wholesale prices

13. makiwan

makiwan Elite Member

thanks a lot :)

14. DarkMagician207

definitely don't let the size of the snake's head fool you. their jaws can stretch quite wide. my rosy boa's head is maybe a little smaller than my thumb and he takes adult mice. most times if they find that the prey is too large, they'll back off. but they can definitely take something as big around as the biggest part of their bodies.

like Merlin, i use rodentpro as well. i buy my mice in bulk and store them in the freezer.

one piece of advice if you do decide on ordering frozen. once they get to you, separate them into individual ziploc baggies for each week's worth of feeding. that way they are not exposed to the air every time you open the bag to get one out. i made that mistake once. i order my mice in 25-50 at a time since i have three snakes. back when i first started ordering frozen, i kept them all in one bag and just took out as needed. within a few weeks they were exposed to the air so much that they started to kind of smell. then i accidentally closed a piece of the bag in the door to the freezer so that air was able to get in. well the rest of the batch went bad.

i find now that i separate the food into baggies with three mice in each for my three snakes. that way i only use what i need and the rest stays fresher. its way easier. :)

15. makiwan

makiwan Elite Member

Thanks that's a great idea. How long do they keep in the freezer?

16. prismwolf

I use RodentPro, too. Great way to buy in bulk...and when you have someone to share te cost of shipping...even better. I've had rats/chicks in the freezer for almost two years. I have a big chest freezer that I just place the box in along with the insulation pads the feeders are wrapped in when they ship to keep the dry ice intact longer. This has kept freezer burn at bay for me.

17. prismwolf

I almost forgot to mention this. PetCo has gone to selling frozen rats/mice. I just bought some fuzzy mice (3 per bag) and I can't find the receipt for that day! Wouldn't you know it! I found the PetSmart receipt for that same day!

I was just going through the site trying to find some kind of price list and was very impressed by this article they have on feeding f/t vs live: http://www.petco.com/Content/Articl...p/petco_SearchResults_N_31+27_sm_Article.aspx . So I can't find anything online as far as prices are, and I'm sure their quite a bit costlier than ordering in bulk unless shipping is so high for the amount you buy that shopping in the store would make better sense. The fix - buy enough bulk where shipping isn't an issue...:p

18. DarkMagician207

as soon as my order comes, i separate them all into bags of three mice per bag, seal them up so no air is inside the bag, put them in a paper bag then a plastic wal-mart type grocery bag (i live with my parents so this is the way they thought would be best so they overlook the fact that there are frozen rodents in the freezer lol). so far i've had them keep for up to 6 months. they would probably keep longer but some weeks my guys will eat and some they won't so it depends on how often i have to use the food. :) and if one decides not to eat one week i know one of the other two will eat it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.