This Disappears When Logged In

worried new BD Lizard owner

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dcuccio, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcuccio

dcuccio New Member

Hi,
    I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. We purchased a 75% grown bd for our son for Christmas, who had a previous owner. We don't have any imfo on them but he was underweight when we got him. For two days he didn't eat. He usually eats about 4-6 worms a day and some lettuce and carrots, and apple. We were worried sick last night that he was going to die. He wasn't moving around his cage and when we took him out he would just fall asleep. He normally is very docile, but he was more listless. We are new owners and just want to do the best by him that we can. The books we purchased don't really help that much.

Do they eat everyday normally? If they don't does that mean they are sick?

Please help!

Thanks,
    Donna P.S. Hasn't eaten any crickets since we got him.

2. chpllshw

chpllshw Member

What kind of worms are you feeding him? You should be feeding him crickets

3. chpllshw

chpllshw Member

ooppss just saw the p.s never mind on the crickets

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Read that carsheet. its VERY useful!

welcome.

6. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome! if you give us more information like Merlin said, we can help you better. I would also say that if you think he is underweight, you should take him to a vet to get checked out. And that means a reptile vet, not just your regular cat and dog vet.
    Herp Vet Connection or ARAV

7. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Welcome to Herp Center...you have received some great advice...hope your little guy comes through....

8. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Welcome.

What your dragon is going through is fairly normal. Reptiles really hate change of any kind and need a lot of time and patience to adjust. It's not uncommon for one to stop eating for a little while when moving to a new home. Since he sounds like he's still in his adjustment period, move him to an area in the house where there's very little traffic or noise, and avoid handling him for awhile. Make sure he has a place to hide from you if he feels threatened. For a few days to a week, just present his food to him like normal, but limit your time with him.

Bearded dragons are among the more sociable of reptiles, so with a little care and patience, he should come around fairly quickly.

What concerns me is that it sounds like he was abused before you got him. If he is underweight, you'll want to get him eating again as soon as possible. Unfortunately you still have to go slow and get him accustomed to you. Check out the care sheet and check to make sure that your temperatures are correct, and that he's got proper UVB and food offerings. He'll likely decide to eat right once he calms down.

If he continues to have trouble or loses any more weight, though, you'll need to get him to a vet. It may be an indication of parasites or sickness.

I hope he starts feeling better really soon. They really are great pets to have.

9. Annababe

Annababe Elite Member

Welcome to HC...........you will find all the help you need here!

Andrea

10. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Welcome, hope the little guy comes out okay!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.