This Disappears When Logged In

Worried baby painted is dying

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by katie41586, Jan 20, 2015.

1. katie41586

katie41586 Elite Member

Hey Herpers,
    About 6 months ago I hatched a clutch of 8 baby painted turtles. They have all seemed to be thriving except for one who always seemed a little off but fine for the most part. His name is Prince Myshkin and he has always been a little bit smaller than the rest. His shell would dry out more than the others when under lights and he has always eaten a little bit less, but for the most part he moved around fine and seemed to be doing the best the little guy could. Recently though he has just looked like he is dying. He stays basking on the log till the next morning after I turn off the lights and cover up the cage. He's eating even less and his eyes are droopy. He stays in one spot too long- all the usual bad signs. The rest seem great. Any advice anyone could offer me?

I have them in a tupperware container that is about 2 by 4 with a gravel/vermiculite base. I'd say about 2/3 is water that varies from .5" to 5" (turtles are about the size of half dollars give or take a few mm). They have a filter waterfall feature, a basking log, lots of underwater/surface fake plants to hide and float among, and a bubbler. I have a 75 watt basking lamp on them as well as a uvb (can't remember the wattage without getting up and digging out a box). I tweezer feed them chopped up wild caught shrimp (used to be mealworms) and make sure everyone gets fed until they are full. I found a lot of conflicting information on turtle care all over the web so I'm hoping it's not a husbandry issue.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Let's start out with a rundown of the enclosure, can you give us the basking temp and cool side temp? How are you measuring the temps? Also, what us the water temp?
    8 turtles seems a little cramped, maybe it's time to split them up.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I would agree that it might be time to separate them, I have that many in a 100gal stock tank, mine are bigger but not really large and I wish the tank was bigger. Also, have you been using any supplements or offering any greens in their diet? Also water temp this time of year is really implrtant, and it typically drops allng with house temps. You may need to add a heater to their water, it should be 78°-80° for such small turtles.