This Disappears When Logged In

Worried About Xena

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Swimmer522, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

So for the past week or so both of the cats have had respiratory infection and have been on antibiotics. I am super worried about xena now though. I have been washing my hand religously this whole time because of it (and worried for getting my belly button ring infected) and i always wash my hands before and after handling my reptiles. However i was holding xena not to long ago and she seems to be wheezing a lot. Not just her usual sneezes (once or twice while just sniffing around. Shes been doing that since i got her) the cats have been banned from my room until they got better cause i didnt want to risk the reptiles catching what they had.

Xena is in a 20 long, under the tank pad on 1/3rd of the tank, fresh water every day, aspen bedding and abient light. She recently fed on 2 mice ( roughly 2 wks old just opened their eyes) and she ate with no problem. She actually seemed very active which is why i took her out to hold.
    I noticed the wheezing because the elder of the cats got somehow got into the room and got too close so xena struck at her. Both animals seemed to be fine but over the course of checking xena out i noticed the wheezing. Could it just be because of the shock of the cat or do i have to worry she caught the RI? I cant really afford to take her to the vet right now (money issues and yes i know i should always have some set aside but i had to use it to afford food for them times are rough here)

2. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

Checked her again after letting her sort of destress in her tank and the heavy wheezing seems to have stopped. She still does this thing (like a snort a little) but from what i can tell she isnt wheezing with every breath. Going to let her rest for another day or two then check her again

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As far as I know cat RI's is not transmissible to reptiles.

4. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Cat RI's are also not transmissible to humans. :) or their piercings!

5. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

Haha i wasn't worried about getting RI in my belly button just mainly it getting infected. :) But thanks for the heads up!

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

lol, I had a good chuckle with this response :)