This Disappears When Logged In

Worried About the Heat

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Anathema, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Anathema

Anathema New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. I am worried about my ball python and milk snake. We are currently experiencing a heat wave with temps reaching into the 90s up here in Maine. My bedroom heats up fast during the day (it's usually about 10 degrees warmer than the outside temps), I have an AC unit that I keep running on low when the temps get this warm to help regulate the snakes tempuratures. However, we are having work done on our house and I have lost power. I am very concerned about my snakes being in my hot room. It's night now and they are both on the cool side of their individual tanks. Should I try to find a place to relocate them or will they be OK?

Thanks for your help!
    ~ Jenn

2. I'm having a similar problem myself...

Hi! Welcome :) I am also new around here. But anyway yea, I've been experiencing the same heat wave as I'm down in Boston, its been BRUTAL! We just moved into a new place & also, until Monday, we only have the 1 AC in the bedrm, we are on the 2nd & 3rd floor (haven't even been USING the upstairs rms its so hotttt, lol) and it also has been getting hotter than its been outside anywhere outside the bdrm here too, and our reptiles are all in the living rm, too big of a tank to move. We have a big (75 gallon, waiting for our 500 g to be done!) .. we have 2 red tail boas, 4 anoles, 2 green tree frogs, 2 firebelly toads, a veiled chameleon, & a firebelly newt (for land animals, that is, lol, we have a pond down one end with fish & an albino African clawed frog & 1 fiddler crab) all living together... Very surprised they all get along & all have plenty of room. All I've had to do is turn off 1 of the heating pads, but all my animals are of tropical origin. Anywayyyy, I DON'T know much about milksnakes, but I do know that ball pythons are native to tropic regions.. and I do know that milksnakes also need warmer climate. What kind of milksnake is it? Do you have a thermometer and a hydrometer (for the humidity)? If you don't, you should definitely, DEFINITELY get a pair for each cage, they're not expensive, under 10$. And in all reality, your snakes are PROBABLY more comfortable than not, since they do need warm/humid climate, they are perfect anywhere from 70 to 90* fahrenheit, humidity is good from 60 to 90, they could actually get really sick or even die if they get much exposure to AC (though don't panic, I'm not sure how close to the ac they were or anything)... Like I said, milksnakes I don't know as much about (as in what region they are from) you should definitely read up on that. But, don't worry hun, the snakes are MUCH more comfortable in this weather than we are, lol. I don't think you have anything to worry about :)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are the temperatures in the tank?

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

It gets warmer in your cage because of the glass. So a 90 degree day, your room is 100, the tank may be 110. Read the temps with a digital thermometer not analog. They are junk. The tropics don't get that hot. Take your temps and let us know those numbers.

Ticklemegreen, please separate your animals. A red tail boa needs at least a 75 gallon once fully grown. You should never keep different species of reptiles together. They are not pack animals like dogs. They will kill each other eventually. I've read hotter stories where a snake started eating its tankmates tail and worse. Also 90 degree humidity is way to high for the snakes. They could actually get respiratory infections from it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  5. Anathema, I apologize, because I'm going to go a little off topic here for a second

TJOHNSON722.. I appreciate your 'concern', but I have studied up and researched, very much in depth, about every way I take care of my reptiles. First of all, yes, I am aware that a FULL GROWN boa needs ATLEAST 75 gallons for each. However, mine are not full grown. They are both babies, and we are currently having a 500 gallon tank custom made to switch everyone into in about a month.

I also go by experience as WELL as all the studying and research that I've done, I don't regurgitate half-a**ed information that some 16 year old kid who just got his work permit tells me at PETCO. My husband has been raising and breeding red tail boas, and numerous kinds of lizards for over 20 years. We have made sure that all the reptiles in the tank are reptiles that CAN co-exist together. And DO co-exist together in the wild, and have been for 1000's of years before people came along. For the most part, Boa's do not eat other reptiles. Yes, there are occurances where it HAS and DOES happen, of course, I'd be lying if I were to say they don't eat other reptiles, ever. However, when you find this happening, the snake is obviously not being cared for correctly, and most definitely not being kept fed. They HIGHLY prefer mammals over reptiles, and will only go after another reptile if the snake is starving. I'm not trying to start a debate or be a (removed), I just want to let you know that I do have high experience, and would never, ever put ANY animal in danger, even if I thought there was the SLIGHTEST chance of any of them not getting along, not having enough room, or anything like that. And as I said, both of my boa's are babys, so there is more than enough room in the tank as of right now.

I do understand that I could have stood to be corrected about the advice I was trying to give about the ball python and milksnake {if} I was wrong, as I said in my original post, I'm not 100% sure, the only snakes either me or my husband have had over a 20 year period were/are red tails.

Now, in the region where Columbian Red Tails come from, the daily temperature can be anywhere from 70-101.4 degrees Fahrenheit. The average humidity in that region on a daily basis ranges between 77-90% humidity. We try, for the most part, to simulate a native environment for this particular species {and have made sure that any of the other lizards that we have in the tank are comfortable in the same type of environment}. Also, boas in captivity are at a perfect daytime temp of 81-89 degrees F on the cooler end of the tank, the basking side should constantly be between 89-95 degrees F, even at night. Night time temp for the cooler end should never drop below 75 degrees, and the perfect temp for night time would be from 78-85 degrees F.

So Anathema, yes, I should have just gotten right to the point and asked what your temperatures/humidity is at. I apologize. With this heat and my house being WICKED hot, I've never seen my gauge go above 93-94 degrees F, which is good {I would read up on your specific breeds of snakes before going by any EXACT info}. However, digital or analog, either will work. Analog thermometers and humidity gauges are not junk. People used them for 100s of years before digital ANYTHING was invented. Unlike digital, which depends on electronic components, analog depends on a spring that is heat sensitive, and if there is any problem with it, you will be able to tell right away, because the dial will not move, at all. I'm not putting digital gauges down, either, though, whatever one works for you. Just wanted to get the point across that while analog gauges were called 'junk' in the post above, I just wanted to explain how each works. Neither are 'junk'.

Thanks =)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2013
  6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Digital is the way to go. Analog can be off by 15% and in this heat wave, a boa can bake. It's not worth the risk of overheating! Just because "back in the day we always used analog", is not rational reasoning :). They are inexpensive enough and easily available. And accurate. Accurate being the main reason you want a digital thermometer.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok just step down here a bit! Being rude is NOT going to serve you well on this site!
    Exactly what makes you think that this mix of animals exists together in the wild? ANYWHERE!
    Boas are from Central and South America, anoles and green tree frogs are from the US, Veiled Chameleons are from Western Asia, Fire bellied toads and fire bellied newts are from Japan China and Korea.
    In other words there is no way that this mix ever has lived together in the wild and never will!
    What you are doing is exposing animals from entirely different parts of the world, to organisms that they would NEVER encounter in the wild and could very well cause the death of your animals. Since they evolved in an area where these organisms did not exist and as such have no immunities to them.
    And add to this the fact that both fire bellied toads and newts secrete a toxin from their skins that can kill another animal.
    100's of years?

The spring gauges are a fairly new invention. And your assessment of their accuracy is skewed. Yes they do work by means of a coiled spring. Which makes them subject to metal fatigue, corrosion, and dust. And this will NOT make them not move, it only affects their accuracy.
    Digital gauges are PROVEN to be more accurate. Go into any lab and see what they are using for temperature and humidity. They are using digital gauges! Why? Because they are accurate and not subject to the problems of the spring gauges I mentioned.

Me neither! So maybe you should step back and listen.
    Since I am almost 60 years old and have been keeping herps since I was a kid!

8. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

I got a digital that does both at walnart for $12.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi TICKLEMEGREEN. as you probably already know a hydrometer doesn`t actually measure the humidity. The OP needs a hyGrometer. If something is unreliable (inaccurate) it could rightly be called "junk", that`s what many analogue thermometers and hygrometers are (perhaps 15%+ out).
    As far as keeping different species and families of reptiles (and amphibians) in the same matchbox, surely that`s a recipe for disaster (for them, not you)? When you/we consider that some of those animals prey on the others (not necessarily those particular species). Some (many?) snakes will eat lizards, some lizards will eat snakes, some snakes and lizards eat amphibians and some amphibians eat small lizards and snakes. A sort of "free for all" ( much like our own species). :(((
    I`ve done some studying (formal) over the years too, I`m amazed with all your experience and knowledge you could ever consider doing what you`re doing??? No offense, and I do understand it saves having to provide separate enclosures for each of the darn things! ;)

10. Treven

Treven Member

*Face Palm*

11. Nathan

Nathan Member

If it sits in its water bowl all day it's probably too hot