This Disappears When Logged In

Worried About My Rosy Boa...... Help

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by ChantillyLace, Apr 10, 2013.

1. ChantillyLace

ChantillyLace New Member

I am a worried Rosy Boa momma. I have a young Rosy about 10-12in long. I bought her from Petsmart in Oct. of 2012. She ate well (frozen pinkies) and in Dec of 2012 she had her first shed it took about a month. In Early March 2013 (about 6 weeks ago) she began to appear to be shedding again. She has not eaten in 4 weeks and I am worried she is just taking too long to shed. Is this a common thing with Rosy Boa's??? She is my first reptile and I love her dearly.

Chantilly Lace's Mommy

2. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

What are her temps and humidity? How are they being measured? What size enclosure is she in?

I don't know much about them, but this can help the people who do. Good luck with her! :D

3. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

My rosy boa will eat in shed, but it is normal for snakes to refuse food during this process. Mine takes about three weeks to shed as well, and it has nothing to do with the humidity I keep her at. I would not be concerned unless you notice the snake loosing weight. What are your temps at? In their natural habitats, Rosy boas will hibernate in old rodent holes or rock crevices. Mine disappeared for a little over a month when my ambient house temps dropped, regardless of the fact that she still had over half of her enclosure at 91 degrees F.

4. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Edit: Also, I have noticed that in order to get my rosy to eat during her long sheds I have to heat her prey up considerably more. She is not a picky eater, but turns pretty picky during shed. This is assuming you are feeding frozen thawed prey.
    And two more things. You can provide a "moist hide" using saphgum moss or damp paper towels that you change daily, if you feel like she is having a tough shed. Secondly, make sure she has an abrasive surface to rub herself on.

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

In addition, I wouldn't worry too much. Try to get a moist hide introduced and give her a few baths. If it won't come off after that you could try to put some mineral oil in her bath too. I've tried it and it helped. I didn't let my snakes head got below water because I didn't know if it was ok or not but it might help.

6. ChantillyLace

ChantillyLace New Member

I keep her warm side in the upper 80's during the day and upper60's at night. I live in the Midwest and it's rainy season right now so the humidity is a little higher than her normal. I also always have her fresh water out on the cool side for her. I have been giving her a warm bath about once a week since her process started over 6 weeks ago and still no shed. Her eyes went from sliver to white to sliver and no shed. I fed her once a week 2 large pinkies she has always been a great eater. But will not eat during the shedding process even though I still offer every 10 days. I have also tried shed aid still no shed.

7. ChantillyLace

ChantillyLace New Member

She is in a 10 gallon tank right now.