This Disappears When Logged In

Worried About My Baby Cornsnake

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by brooksy, Nov 7, 2012.

1. brooksy

brooksy Elite Member

This was my first really little baby snake, which I got about 2 months ago now. At first everything was awesome, eating & feeding like a pro. Then 3 weeks ago (sometime while I was away, but the pet sitter doesn't know when) he regurgitated. I contacted the seller you recommended I ship the next meal to let stomach acid return to usual then my little guy ate perfectly again the following feeding attempt. Tonight he did not take his meal but I left it in to see if he'll eat it in the dark/quiet.
    Then about a week ago I noticed his shed still 3/4 on him and not sitting away from the skin like it does when they are mid shed. The next day I checked back and it had not changed so I gave him a bath, which didn't seem to change anything. And now it appears that his skin all over (freshly shed part and part with shed attached) is wrinkly like an old person (not dry but like saggy wrinkly). I spoke with another breeder and she has never had a corn snake thrive with this "old person" skin before. I am really worried about him now.
    I have double checked temps and they are right. When he regurged, it could have been since I think the pet sitter bumped the plug in, since it was cool on both sides when I got home a couple weeks back. And yes I'm getting a new pet sitter for next time.
    Has anyone dealt with the old person skin on a corn before? Especially anyone who is really big into corn snakes. Do we know what is it? What caused it and what can help to correct it (if possible). Every bit of help is appreciate.

2. sharkyy

sharkyy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I am much help but this same thing happened to my baby spotted python....he ate like a champ and then all of sudden started regurging and refusing meals. He also got the same "old person" skin you are describing.....He was still active and other wise seemed healthy.
    I never found out what happened to the poor little guy. He died a few weeks later... I got his body checked by some herpetologists in Adelaide (where I live ) but they couldn't find a problem.
    But then again saying this, these are two different species of snake all together! I just hope it works out for you and you can find what the problem is :)
    Best of luck and sorry if I wasn't any help...

EDIT: Just did a quick internet search and the regurgitating may be caused by an internal parasite? Someone will come along sooner or later to help you out more

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  3. xEnigma71x

xEnigma71x New Member

I'm not an expert but it sounds like it could be an internal parasite to me. I'd get the little guy to a vet. Also I'm not sure where you live but check your temps. Here in Ca the temps are soaring during the day. Is your heat source on a thermostat? Always, always check your temps anyway. And with a partial shed check your humidity. I'd check those and def get him to a vet. Also make sure your not handling him at all after feeding. I leave mine for at least 48 hours or until they become active again. And wait at least 10 days until trying to feed after a regurge. Good luck with the little guy. Hope he gets better.

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I think you need to visit with an exotic vet. A few things wrong though, Since you actually didn't see the regurgitation you don't know if the snake was not handled properly or too soon after eating. With the not eating, that could be due to the shedding issues. That happens all the time. What's the temps and humidity, and can you post pictures of the setup and animal highlighting the skin issue.

5. brooksy

brooksy Elite Member

The pet sitter didnt handle any of the snakes, just peeked in to see that nothing major was wrong (I mostly had her there to mist the geckos that need it, re-fill any water bowls that emptied and feed the rabbits. I think the plug got bumped though and the heat shut off too before he could fully digest it.
    I am also very good about not handling after feeding or for a few days after, as I am overly cautious when it comes to any baby reptiles.
    I tried to take pictures but it doesnt seem to show up at all (likely because it is a pale colour in the first place), which is frusterating. When I peeked on him last night, his shed was still not removed but the wrinkly skin is only where the shed it. Its like the shed has no air between it and the new skin.
    He is in a sterilite tub (i think 15quart), with 2 hides (one of the hot side and one on the cool side), and water dish. On papertowel. I will check the temps again tonight, but the only time there were off was after I had returned from my short trip.
    How does a vet check for parasites with a snake? I know it's a fecal test for geckos but since this little guy hasnt eaten, he wont have anything to test.

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Same thing. Fecal sample. Which is fun. Who doesn't love touching poop right?

7. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I think the OP is inquiring about how to actually get a fecal sample from a non-eating snake. No food in = no poop out. With lizards you can force-feed with usually little concern about regurgitation in order to get a sample, but you can't do the same with a snake though, can you?

8. brooksy

brooksy Elite Member

Yup, thats what I meant. And with my little almost transluscent opal corn, you can see if there is any food in him or not (you can see his heart beating even, which is kinda cool and I didnt notice until this whole shedding ordeal).

9. brooksy

brooksy Elite Member

Update on Eli. After taking advise from some very experienced cornsnake keepers who have successful overcome these same issues, I got his shed all off last night. He was cruising around soon as it was off.
    What was recommended (in case this helps anyone) was a bath with shed aid (with the snow storm here I had to settle on a different brand and used the Zilla Shed Ease, as it was too dangerous to drive to the far pet store for the Zoo Med brand that was recommended). I used wet towel to help rub it off. It was still difficult so I had to help him gentle rub it off. He was so good during this but got perky right after it was done.
    I also changed his substrate to aspen as recommended by a keeper who had a baby corn go from this to successfully thriving adult by using those methods.
    I will keep everyone updated with future feedings and sheds. Thanks again for everyone's help.

10. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

another way to help with stuck shed is to put them in a rub with a wet towel on the warm side of the tank and to just let them cruise around a little bit in there will generally get the shed off.

11. brooksy

brooksy Elite Member

Sad news. Eli passed away today. I had really hoped that he would make it after the successful shed removal.

12. sharkyy

sharkyy Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear about that :( RIP little Eli. I give you my deepest condolences...

I find this starnge that the same thing happened to my python. 2 wks after a shed he passed...

13. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry to hear. RIP Eli

14. king1239

king1239 Elite Member

I dont mean to sound rude but if he wasnt in quarantine you need to get all your animals to the vet ASAP because it could be an illness and I am very sorry for your loss. =(

15. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( He sounded like a little fighter and I thought he would make it.

Will you be having a necropsy done, just so you know what happened?

16. brooksy

brooksy Elite Member

Yeah I will, I want know what happened.