This Disappears When Logged In

worms

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Stacy, Oct 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacy

Stacy Member

I really don't like feeding my water dragon crickets. I have ordered one batch of silkworms from mulberry farms and really liked them. But they are pretty expensive when your only feeding one WD. Anyone live near Appleton, WI that would like to split a large batch of silkworms or butterworms?

Or anybody found a good place and good price on silworms or butterworms?

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Can't help you there, but just wanted to make sure of something. You mentioned butterworms along with the silkworms. Cricekts and silkworms are both good staple feeders, but butterworms should be fed in lesser amounts. Silkworms are a good choice for the main part of the diet, but not butterworms. They're more of an extra.

4. Stacy

Stacy Member

butterworms

that's interesting furry. I was under the impression that butterworms were even better for them then the silkworms. I guess I will stop looking into those then and just stick to the silkworms.

thanks,
    Stacy

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Hmm, I may have to look into it then. I'd heard that they weren't as balanced nutritionally, but I've never actually seen any real numbers or anything.

6. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

The problem with butterworms are that they contain fat and calories. There are 87 calories in a butter worm. The pro about them is that they contain the largest amount of calcium than any feeder on the market. Silk worms are the best choice to feed because they are perfect in nutrients, proteins, and every thing else a growing herp needs. Why don't you like feeding crickets to your wd? They are a healthy choice.

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Crickets are second only to silkworms, but not by much of a difference. They're a lot cheaper than silkies though. Yeah, I thought butterworms had a lot of fat. Never seen a butterworm though, so I don't know as much about them as some of the other feeders, like waxworms.

8. MoLdYpOtAtOe

9. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Cool chart, thanks :D

10. Stacy

Stacy Member

Thanks all for the info. I decided to just order another 200 silkworms. I just don't like the crickets because they smell so bad. It really gags me. I also don't like the fact that the crickets bite and I can't just throw some in the tank and go in the morning if I have to. The worms we can just put in that worm feeding dish that they can't get out of and go. It's also nice if you'll be gone for a day or two. I also like to feed my dragon fish. He won't actually fish for them though. I wish he did that would be cool. I think that eventually I will be ordering eggs and growing my own silkies, I'm just not ready for that yet. We've only had our dragon and iguana since july so I'm still getting used to taking care of them every day.
    Back to the butterworms....I have a pretty skinny dragon who is still recooping from mistreatment at the pet store in my opinion. Maybe it would be good to feed him the high fat butterworms for a while to get some weight on him?

11. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, if you're trying to beaf him up a bit, butterworms, waxworms, and pinkies are all high in fat. I'd keep the pinkies to a minimum though.

12. MoLdYpOtAtOe

It's always best to gain weight the healthy way. So try not to feed alot of fatty feeders to him. If a human were 15 pounds under weight, and they were to eat doritos, pizza, and cheese. They would only be a little healthier than they were when they were underweight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.