This Disappears When Logged In

Worms that will help put on weight....

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by mshrmheadcharge, Nov 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Sally has become very thinn....so im wondering what types of worms i can feed her to help put on a lil bit of weight..i know waxworms and butterworms..but are there any others? Ill post pics of her soon...

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

There are all sorts of "worms", but those two have the highest fat content of them all. Cockroach nymphs are very good feeders too. They're about the same as crickets, but with slightly more fat I think.

3. mshrmheadcharge

hehe...thatnks...i should have said feeders that put on weight...lol

4. McBlev6

McBlev6 Elite Member

What if yout herp won't eat a worm? You know a picky eater!

5. mshrmheadcharge

she will eat them...lol, ive fed them to her before, mealworms, waxworms, butterworms and night crawlers...even tho she is very picky..shes also very good about eating things she dosnt exactly like...such as mealies..she always spits atleast 2 out..but she still eats some...now jack on the other had will eat anything he thinks just mite be for him...

6. McBlev6

McBlev6 Elite Member

what can you do to get them to eat waxworms or other worms if they don't eat them on their own?

7. mshrmheadcharge

hehee..i will tell you a secret to get them to open their mouths :) Hold WD in one hand (your non-dominant hand) with his back to your palm.

Your Index finger and thumb should be around the dragons neck area.

If you are flexable, you should be able to use your thumb to apply some gentle pressure to the base of the dragons neck- at the base of the dewlap (or as close as it gets to a dewlap on a wd).

As you apply downward pressure to the loose skin of the dewlap the dragons mouth will open.

Use your dominant hands index finger to apply a tiny bit of pressure to the opening lower jaw.

I know this works for my water dragons....i dk about your aft....hehe..trisha taught me that!!!

8. Dragonden

Dragonden Elite Member

Thought I recognized those instructions. :) LOL

Be careful feeding lizards foods high in fat if they've recently gone through a period of extended non-eating (anorexia). We've been discussing fatty liver disease on my wd list on and off over the last few months and it seems that Fatty liver disease can occur as a result of the liver not being able to metabolize the fat in the diet properly after a period of anorexia. I would be cautious about high fat foods if the dragon hasn't been eating well over the last couple of months.

9. mshrmheadcharge

i feed sally waxworms once a week...vet told me not to give her alot of food...do you think once a week is too much? maybe i will give them every other week...this is what her diet looks like now(basically this is all she will accept):she gets crix 7 days a week..she will eat maybe 5 a day, 5 days a week she gets mealies..she will eat about 7, then on sat i give her waxworms....before i gave her fish every 2 weeks soemtimes once a week..vet told me no more fish until she eats as much as she did before and he said this will take a very long time....:(

10. Dragonden

Dragonden Elite Member

Sounds ok to me. It looks like your vet is watching her diet carefully too. That's good. :)

11. mshrmheadcharge

they have a very good vet..he said he loves reptiles but dosnt get to handle them alot..lol..and im very thankful to have a caring vet!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.