This Disappears When Logged In

Worm Box

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Colleen, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Ok, my little brain has been working again as I plan and design the box turtle enclosure for outdoors. I was thinking maybe I needed to add some kind of worm box to make sure there was always a supply of worms for them to eat. I was thinking about something 2' x 2' make out of a 2" x 4" frame and a glass bottom or would wood work. I'm thinking his might need to be sunk into the ground. I can add soil in the box and then put the worms inside and they couldn't escape. Any opinions on this, should I change the way it is made, do I really need something like this?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I would keep it simple and sink a plastic container in the ground. You'll have a problem with the wood rotting.

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I've never bothered to make one, but I'd have to say Mike's idea would probably work better. I know bread can draw them to the surface too, but you may have trouble with the turtles eating the bread :p

4. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Maybe I should just let nature take it course and us the bread (read that also in regards to box turtles). I know our backyard worms are ok, since we live on top of the hill our yard slopes into both the other yards. We only use organic fertilizer on our garden and plants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.