This Disappears When Logged In

Wooohoo Another Noob Question

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by ScreamSalvation, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ScreamSalvation

ScreamSalvation Active Member

Ok guys and gals here it goes.

Per my last question session I asked about equipment and lighting/heating. So I finally started getting things to get this Blue Tongue Skink enclosure going. I have a basking light set up on one side with a large piece of slate to bask on. Thermostats on each side, hydro on the cool end. And my trusty laser thermo that I have had for a couple years.

The basking light is getting the slate to between 96F and 101F, the air on that side of the enclosure is only getting to around 75F - 78F. Cool end is consistently 73F.

All the caresheets I have been reading say that the basking side should be 95F - 100F (Some say mid 90s to 105). Are they talking about the air temp for that side or just the rock for basking?

Do I need to add a ceramic heating element to the hot side to bump up the ambient air temps on that end of the enclosure?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

That's super odd that the air isn't getting heated. Something is off. How close is the slate to the heat lamp? Can you post a photo?

3. ScreamSalvation

ScreamSalvation Active Member

Have moved the light up and down, from 12 inches to 18 inches above the slate. Around 18 inches heats the slate perfectly, another closer and the slate moves into the 106F range.

100W basking light if I didn't mention that earlier.

4. volkert13b

volkert13b Well-Known Member

to get your rock the right time..they make heat lamp holders(whatever they are called) with built in dimmers on them..try buying on of those and dim it until your rock gets the right temp...also your basking area(ambient temp on that side) should be 90-100 degrees..a basking spot is a spot so it can sit in direct heat. the rock itself shouldnt be 90-100 but the area of the basking rock

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just to make sure, you are not trying to use the temp gun to read the air temp are you?

6. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

And is it a MV bulb? If it is you cannot put that on a dimmer.