This Disappears When Logged In

WoodyPet as a Substrate

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Electrophile, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electrophile

Electrophile Elite Member

I am a *huge* fan of Woody Pet (see http://www.woodypet.com/pets.html ), a pelleted soft wood all purpose animal bedding with the phenols extracted, for my rabbits and rats. It is not super widely available, but I get it at Orschlyn's, a farm supply store. It says it will work as a substrate for snakes and lizards and I have used it with my BRB since I got him a couple weeks ago. Has anyone else ever tried this stuff on their herps?

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Never heard of it, but could sure use some for my rats and chinchilla! :D

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I can't find which types of wood are in there. I also can't find exactly how much of the toxic chemicals are still in there. They say they get MOST of them, and then later say it is completely sterile. It in't completely sterile if it still lets off an oder of wood, which is what I saw written in the customer testimonials.

To be honest, this product was intended for horses. It's barn quality. They are looking for other avenues of revenue, which is why all the other critters are listed. I have never heard of this product until now. Perhaps thats because I haven't been riding in a few years, but nonetheles. I don't trust a product until I know everything about it. Seeing as thios was designed for horses, I wouldn't use it with my herps until tests have been run on it.

I am a skeptic, so I don't trust anything like that without tests confirming that it is indeed non toxic to reptiles.

Like I said, it may have enough of the oils and whatnots to be safe for a horse, but do to their size, that doesn't mean that the same levels are safe for reptiles. I will pass.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I also have my doubts about this product. Just because they say that it is safe for all the animals listed doesn't meant that it is. You can find the same claims on bags of cedar as well as pine shavings. There really is no truth in labeling in regard to pet supplies.

According to the testimonial
    If there is a strong pine smell the phenols have NOT been removed. That is where the smell comes from.

It may be fine to use in cat boxes and horse stalls where there is free airflow and the animal isn't constantly laying in it or crawling under it. I would not use it in the confined space of a reptile enclosure where the animal is laying in it and breathing it constantly.

5. Bitis Gabonica

Yes, I was going to ask in my initial post, what type of wood is being used?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

In the ad all it says is "white wood". That leaves a lot of room for "fudging" :rolleyes:
    But the testimonial talks of a strong smell of pine.

7. Bitis Gabonica

Hmm, yes, then I would be very cautious about using it with reptiles - in fact, even some types of wood can be poisonous to rodents too, so i would make sure of what wood is used in it before putting it in any of your enclosures.

8. Electrophile

Electrophile Elite Member

I have been using it for my rabbits and rats since late last year and I don't think it smells strongly of pine at all. Both cedar and pine shavings have a much stronger smell. It smells lightly of wood (kinda like a bag of aspen shavings, which I used to use), but not that pungent pine smell like if you have been sawing boards or something. Since this stuff is very inexpensive ($5 for a 30 lbs at the farm and feed store), I would guess it is mostly pine that has the phenols (the dangerous hydrocarbons it refers to) extracted. My only real concern would be if someone feeds their snake in the cage instead of using a feeder tub. It could get swallowed accidently, just like aspen shavings.

9. Debbie

Debbie Elite Member

I would not recomend any kind of substrate for iguanas or any lizard for that matter and I will tell you why.

Lizards are very curious animals and will lick anything to see what it is. They can ingest the particles and then they can get lodged iside of them and not be able to pass it. This will kill an iguana. Or when they go to the bathroom, it could get inside the cloaca and cause a prolaps and that is very dangerus for the iguana's.

I have in the past before I knew anything much about Iggies, used substrates and (thank god) I was lucky that nothing happend to my beloved animals.

if you are bedding rodents substrates should be fine...but not for an iguana.

just thought I would share how I feel about it.

Debbie Iggy Bam-Bam and Miss Zak

10. Moldypotato

Moldypotato Elite Member

If any of the wood is hardwood, it's basicly unsafe as a substrate to be on a substrate like cedar, pine or any other hardwood constantly for rodents. I will stick to using aspen shavings for my mice and gerbils.

11. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Moldy I think you are mistaken....ceder and pine are both softwoods as is pine and fur....as far as I'm aware all hard wood is safe, beach chips, orchid bark, Aspen (i believe this is also a hard wood???????). The toxic stuff come from the odour that soft woods give off from their sap.

12. deltro_star

deltro_star Elite Member

A little rule of thumb I use when choosing substrate, if it has a distinctive smell...Dont use it! being really inexspensive may sound great but its not worth getting your herp sick, or dying and Ive seen it happen.

and Joe, youre right usually only softwoods give off odors from thier sap hardwoods like aspen are safe and dont give offa distinctve smell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.