This Disappears When Logged In

wooden wonder

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by iam_a_legend06, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iam_a_legend06

iam_a_legend06 Well-Known Member

i was wondering how long and at what temp to cook wood to sterilise and clean a piece of wood for my reps

2. HoanIsMyBallPython

HoanIsMyBallPython Elite Member

Hey i got a different way

Find a bucket or a trash can (clean and staralized) that the wood can fit into and fill the trash can with water the wood needs to be fully submerged though leave it in there for 24 hours and then once u take it out its ready to be used.
    This only works if your trying to steralise of pests im not sure of staralising for other things but it drounds the bugys

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Well that's an up and down philosophy. I personally don't believe it's required. I've never done it and never had any issues. I simply scrap the bark off and scrap out any holes. Just to see if it's infested with anything. If it is I throw t away and find a better piece. If there's anything on it that you can't see it won't hurt your herp. Some people toss it in a chest freezer for a while and others use a very mild bleach solution. I wouldn't recommend putting it in an oven. It could catch fire.
    To sterilize wood because of insects in my opinion is a waste of time. After doing that then you should make sure to seal the enclosure to keep out flies and spiders as well.;)
    Someone will reply to this though saying I'm wrong. But it has worked for me for 18 years.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

I thinks its 325 for 20-30 min. Just keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn. Bleach is another option..diluted with water...rinse well, then let it air dry outside.

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Unfortunately, soaking wood in water typically won't neutralize all potential pests. Air pockets will often remain within the wood, plus many critters that small won't drown so easily (not to mention bacteria). As far as I've heard, baking the wood is still one of the best options. Another option involves submerging the wood in boiling water. The trick is keeping the water boiling long enough to sterilize the wood. Other people use a mild bleach solution, but I don't typically support that method (I'll trust any organics in the wood over chemical bleach). I personally opt for boiling (when I actually decide to sterilize something), but baking is in my opinion the best way to go about it. I just never remember the temperatures or time needed to do it :rolleyes: Most of the time I'm with Mike though. I rarely sterilize wood, but then again, what climate you're collecting wood from vs what climate your herp is native to can have an effect on potential infestations.

6. iam_a_legend06

sound it just it is more like large barankes and tree trunks for a large enclosure that wont fit without me chopping it up into my oven and that kinda defeats the point what i wanted it for in the first place

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For baking usually about 250 degrees for 30 minutes should do it. For using bleach and water a one part bleach to 5 parts water will do it.
    For larger branches I take em in the bath tub and with a bleach and water solution just scrub the daylights out of it with a stiff brush.

8. iam_a_legend06

yet again thnk you for the info i will use the bleach in the bath method will this get rid of potentially wood worm

9. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

I'm with Mike on this.
    Mainly because I'm lazy, but insects help in the balance of things. It's cool actually watching a little niche of critters in an enclosure than just a lizard.

Parasites have never given me any problems.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes but having someones mother determine that all the little flying or crawling bugs she is finding all over the house may not endear their reptile keeping to her.;)

11. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That's very true. Also why I carve out the notches and holes to check for nests and what not.

12. iam_a_legend06

i agree i will check out the holes plus wood worm in a wooded viv is not exactly good is it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.