This Disappears When Logged In

Wood

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Ibrahim, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ibrahim

Ibrahim Elite Member

Hey, I found this nice looking log ideal for my iguana but I want to clean it and make sure its safe for the iguana. Any ideas on how and what to use?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

If its small enough to soak, you can get a little plastic kiddie pool and soak it in a 1 - 10 bleach/water solution, then rinse really well and let dry in the sun a few days.

Or if you have a power washer, you could do a bleach water solution in that.

Or you could hand scrub with a tough brush using bleach water.

Always rinse well and let dry.

3. Ibrahim

Ibrahim Elite Member

Its kind of a big piece but I'll manage, by the way, will it be ok if I spray a substance which kill any insects that may be in the wood? I doubt their is but if it won't harm the iguana when he uses it I'll do it, the spray is called BioKill, it has no smell and I heard it is safe for animals. What I'm thinking of doing is scrubbing it with a tough brush using bleach water, leave it out in the sun, put the BioKill spray, leave it out in the sun again and finally scrub it with the tough brush and bleach water. Does that sound ok?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Do NOT use that stuff!
    from their own FAQ page
    BioKill® is safe to warm blooded animals but highly toxic to fish and reptiles

5. Ibrahim

Ibrahim Elite Member

:O ok its out of the question! I was going to do the research tomorrow but thanks alot. During this month since the time i got Guanda (my iggy) ive discovered that 99% of what people say is complete bull ****!!!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its not so much that as it is the fact that most safety tests are done on mammals.
    If they sell something that harms humans or dogs and cats they get hung out to dry.
    They aren't that concerned with reptiles.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Keep in mind as well. That anything you use to "disinfect" the log, has the potential to harm your Iguana.
    I've been collecting wood for 18 years for use in enclosures without doing any kind of disinfecting. I've had conversations with microbiologist herpers who informed me that the parasites in the wood have no interest in the reptiles(to put it basically).
    The only danger really is if they eat the eggs of the parasites and they hatch inside. A really really small chance.
    I simply sand and carve out any notches where I can't see what's there.
    Just my views on the subject. We all need to make our own informed decisions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.