This Disappears When Logged In

Wood Stacked Viv (pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by MentatIx, Oct 12, 2012.

  1. MentatIx

    MentatIx Active Member

    I finally finished this project last week, so here goes. Wound up linking the images because they were displaying weird and bbcode img size no worky?

    The drawing board:
    http://i46.tinypic.com/2mmfr54.jpg

    The wife and I were kicking this idea around for a while, and we sat around and came up with this basic design one evening. Then she went to watch TV and I got down to brass tacks:

    http://i46.tinypic.com/2r7o802.jpg

    This is my initial material takeoff. Since I was sipping my home made limoncello the whole time I made a few mistakes. :p Lesson learned: do not size up all your cuts and compensate for dados while drunk. Compromizes on size were made to save sheets of wood. Thats it for the boring stuff, heres the actual building:

    http://i50.tinypic.com/t4wnjs.jpg

    Wound up using 3 sheets of 3/4 oak veneer plywood and 1 sheet of 1/4 for the back. Got it all sliced up in short order. The next day was spent with a router and a straightedge, and with the help of my daughter at the end I wound up with this:

    http://i48.tinypic.com/am83li.jpg

    Then, because I could not find plastic tracks for glass anywhere, I cut channels in some oak boards. Which did not work great. It works and it looks good, but its rough. Glued in the face boards and put on some iron on veneer tape to hide the plywood edges..

    http://i47.tinypic.com/2uz8obk.jpg

    Then I cut a bunch of holes for the back vents, cut holes for my little control station and got to work on the part that I hate: finishing work. :mad: Nails were counter-sunk and gaps filled, lots of sanding was done. Stained two different colors and sealed the crap out of it with polyurethane. I usually drag my feet on this part, but since I already had the snakes I pushed through and it only took me two days.

    http://i50.tinypic.com/rkpk5w.jpg

    http://i48.tinypic.com/153miz8.jpg

    http://i49.tinypic.com/10p6am0.jpg

    Next I did all the wiring. The plan was a porcelain heat emitter in each tank and an 18" flourscent at the front. So I got the fixtures in, made a cage for the top one out of hardware cloth. I was able to weld it together with a soldering iron, but it ruined my iron tip. :( The heaters each go through a thermostat, then a dimmer, so it has a safety cutoff and I can control the intensity of the heat. The tube lights each have timers. And the whole thing has one cord sticking out the back of the display; the rest of the wires are hidden. Sort of. Then I tiled and grouted the floors.

    http://i50.tinypic.com/ipmqle.jpg

    Then, while I waited a couple weeks to make sure the poly was completely cured, I ordered a bunch of decorations from amazon and had a local glazier make the glass. It's 1/8 inch glass and altogether cost about 35 bucks...

    And here it is in all its glory:

    http://i49.tinypic.com/14vp4zt.jpg

    I moved a few more hides from there temp enclosure in there, but I don't have pics of that.

    And just for fun:

    http://i48.tinypic.com/1hzfwn.jpg
     
  2. Thalatte

    Thalatte Elite Member

    Oh my...you wanna build my next enclosure? Yours is pretty and functional...mines functional...
     
  3. MentatIx

    MentatIx Active Member

    Haha. I really have no idea what I'm doing. But I find if I pretend hard enough some times I get lucky. :cool:
     
  4. Thalatte

    Thalatte Elite Member

    That's what I think and then I figure I can cover it up with paint and plants!
     
  5. MentatIx

    MentatIx Active Member

    Well, the tile finally got the test today. One of them left a nice present for me right in the corner. It was kind of a pain in the butt to clean off the wood and grout.

    Thank the good lord they usually go in the water bowl or their humid hide.
     
  6. MentatIx

    MentatIx Active Member

    In other news, came home to this yesterday

    2mmeo7c.jpg

    :cool: Still had to give him a bath today because he had a tiny bit left on his tail.
     

Share This Page