This Disappears When Logged In

Wood Frog Cage Build

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Schizems, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Schizems

Schizems Member

So here's my newest cage in the works, it's almost done.

its 32"x17"x17" , Been about a week sense the stain & sealer went on so another week for airing out and finishing touches and then my two frogs can have a pimp crib.

Attached Files:

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Looks good, You must have spent a lot of time on it.
    Are frogs affected by interior finishing such as that?
    I know their skin is but wasn't sure if you had to do something special on an interior like that.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

What kind of frog is going in there? If you used an oil based sealer its going to have to air out for at least a month.

4. Schizems

Schizems Member

Yep it's Minwax Polyurethane Gloss, And the frogs are a Firebelly, and a Grey Tree frog, the smell is pretty much all gone even up close on it.

But if i need air it out more then let it be.

5. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

That's a beautiful looking enclosure. :)

Have you had lights and heat running in it yet? That will tell you if it needs more time to air out.

6. Schizems

Schizems Member

Thanks for the complements, As always i'm my worst critic and i don't like the jagged cuts around some parts of the windows so ill have to do a cover up job with some smaller molding.

As far as lights nope haven't run any yet, i was only going to use (1) 13w CFL bulb ( probably green). Just got it secured in today, I will run the light tomorrow through the day.

7. Schizems

Schizems Member

Heres my two little buddies, The tree frog im pretty sure is male, dark throat and always talking.

The firebelly im not sure, It talks alot late at night when its quiet, but im not sure how to really tell.

They get along great tho, big time personalities

Attached Files:

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

A word of caution. Fire bellies produce a toxin that, over time, will be harmful to your grey tree frogs.

9. Schizems

Schizems Member

Yes, I've read a lot on the cohabitation of these 2 frogs.

It is true that it can be harmful in some cases, but Domesticated fire bellies toxin has become very diluted in the years, and they will tend only to release the toxin when threated or frightened, a creamy pale liquid from the back

They've lived together for over a year and a half now and have done awesome. They get along really well and play around with each other.
    I do take precautions tho, cleaning the water bowl with soap and HOT water every Sunday. and every other night they get a heavy misting so they can drink off the wall more than the water bowl. I have a lined gecko thats super picky about that to.

10. Schizems

Schizems Member

when i cut the windows out the edge of the cut got a little jagged. anyways i thought about putting molding around the edge to hide it some, but i really dont care for the inside part of the wood were the cut is. Is there some type of molding or fixture that i could use to hide the outside and inside of the cut like some sort of L molding?

11. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You should be able to get wood corner moulding from Lowes in paint mdf or wood.