This Disappears When Logged In

Wont Eat

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by alicia123, Oct 23, 2010.

1. alicia123

alicia123 Elite Member

I adopted a baby red eared slider last week. I went into the pet store to get a new heat light and someone working there asked if I wanted the turtle. They said if no one took it they were going to let it go, so I decided to take it. She is very small about a inch and a half across and I have her in a 20 gallon tank. I have had her for almost a week and she hasnt eaten, I have tried tot give her many greens and veggies and some turtle pellets and she hasnt eaten anything. What should I do?

2. Pioggia

Pioggia Well-Known Member

They eat a variety of things. You might play around with the different types of worms, since small red ears tend to like protein more than veggies.

Feeder Items: earthworms, crickets, waxworms, silkworms, aquatic snails, blood worms, daphnia, shrimp, krill, mealworms. For very small turtles, prey may have to be cut into smaller pieces. Larger turtles can be offered larger items like tadpoles or feeder fish, though some experts warn that feeder fish may be carrying parasites, etc.
    Leafy greens: collard, mustard and dandelion greens, kale, bok choy. Head (iceberg) lettuce should never be feed as it contains very little nutrition, but dark green leaf lettuces (e.g romaine) can be feed sparingly
    Aquatic plants: in an aquarium or pond you can add aquatic plants on which turtles usually love to snack. Submerged plants like anacharis are often eaten, as are water hyacinth, water lettuce, duckweed, azolla (fairy moss), and frog-bit.
    Other vegetables: carrots (tops are fine too), squash and green beans.

Also for a RES that small water temp should be closer to 80 with the basking spot being 90-95.

3. alicia123

alicia123 Elite Member

I have some mealworms and waxworms, I will try thoes. And I have been giving her collard greens and turnip greens.

And the water temp. is around 80 with basing temp arund 90-95

thank you for the reply