This Disappears When Logged In

Won't Eat And Is Moody!!!!

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by laura200, Dec 24, 2016.

1. laura200

laura200 New Member

I got this red tail boa from a girl, and she was doing good the first few days and then she started getting moody, and she won't eat. When I had gotten her, her heating bulb wasn't working, so I got a new one that is a 150 watt bulb and it gave her light and heat (it's red, I know it isn't the daylight kind) and I got her new bedding and everything. I'm worried about her, and I'm afraid I am not doing things right. Please help!!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are the temperatures?

3. SomeLizardsInABucket

SomeLizardsInABucket Well-Known Member

How do you measure the temperatures? Does she have a hot an cold side in her tank? How big is it? When was the last time she shed? What about water? Hiding places? Let me explain,
    *If you don't have something to measure her temperature, it could be too cold, even if you are using 150 watt blubs. Some snakes like intense heat, others, like my snake, hang on the cooler side.
    *A hot and cold half and half is also important. Snakes need a certain extra heat to digest properly. After eating, my snake goes into her terracotta hide, because it's very hot.
    *The size of the tank is important too. She may need more room and is seeing you as an intruder. Similarly, some snakes can become aggressive when their tank is TOO big.
    *When shedding, snakes shed their eyecaps. A layer of fluid will go between their old eyecaps and their new ones, which impairs their vision, which can make it difficult to diver you from food. Most snakes also won't eat during, or one week before or after shedding.
    *As for water, she may want a deep bowl for soaking, which can help with shedding. She may also need a tank misting.
    *If she doesn't have enough places to hide, at least one spot on the hot and cold sides of the tank, she may be stressed and feel exposed. This can contribute to moodyness.
    *What kind of food does she eat? Live, f/t, or fresh killed? Some snakes won't eat certain kinds.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

We really need a full rundown of your setup, type of cage, temps of the basking site and the cool end, humidity, how your measuring all these, and a couple pics of the snake and setup would help as well if possible. Of course it could also simply be the fact that the snake is still acclimating to its new home, and it might settle down on its own soon. But we can check for any setup errors now to help prevent future issues

5. SomeLizardsInABucket

It is IMPERATIVE that you get and under the tank heater. Some balls find overhead light VERY stressful.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

This is for a boa.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Nonsense. Overhead lighting should not cause any snake stress unless you are running it 24/7. Think Sun!

Darkbird likes this.
  8. SomeLizardsInABucket

In my experience removing overhead light for boas reduces stress and aggression. I suppose overhead could remain, but it is still something to consider if all else seems to fail.

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

A ceramic heat emitter could be used and would eliminate any issues caused by the light itself.