This Disappears When Logged In

Wondering...

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by Wynd, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

I would love to one day get a tarantula. See, I have had a phobia of spiders since I was a wee child. I absolutely hated them and the fear I experienced when I saw them was wicked strong.

However, years ago, when I bought a pet store (exotics), there were 5 various tarantula species. I didn't want them to die, so I forced myself to learn about their needs and slowly began to actually like them. I wouldn't hold one, as I am not there yet. I'm no longer terrified of spiders, and I actually enjoy looking at them online and outside (recently found the tiniest crab spider and fell in love, she was stunning, beautiful and just so lovely to look at!).

Anyways. One day I would love to have one. So I am looking for suggestions on species: easy to care for, not too expensive and as docile as possible. Maybe one day I would actually handle it, who knows. I'd rather a good sized species, since I worry about it escaping (I mean, if it were tiny I may not be able to find it).

So, I look forward to your suggestions :)

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

You should try the brazilian black tarantula(Grammostola pulchra)! It's one of the nicest of the tarantulas I've seen, slow moving, and big big big! They are a little on the pricy side for a spider, (I've seen 40 dollars and one larger one for 60, but I only just looked around at 2-3 websites) but it isn't too hard to save up for that. They are good eaters and grow at a slow pace(so you get used to the size!) Also live a long time!

Plus, talk about an impressive animal! Beautiful.

I have been looking up T's as well, I'd like to own one one day, and this is the one we chose! :)

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Another slow growing one and very docile in nature is the Chilean Rose Hair (Grammostola rosea) it is a terrestrial type of T just like the Grammostola pulchra so they require more floor space as oppose to the Arboreal type that require more height in their enclosure. A lot of the Arboreal types require more humidity than the terrestrial types. The terrestrial types require substrate to burrow in.
    Females live longer, males only live a few years!
    I have a Chilean Rose Hair, here is a picture of her;
    http://www.herpcenter.com/members/mld/albums/ophelia/

4. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

I was thinking of the Rose hair :D So pretty and common enough ;)

5. Lolita

Lolita Elite Member

Just keep in mind rosies are known for their bi polar temperaments. handling T's always has a risk just as does handling any other exotic another one you might like is a grammastola pulchripes (chaco golden knee) or a brachypelma smithi (Mexican red knee) their slower growers but have more coloration and all 6 of mine have been highly handleable one thats sort of boring looking but is one of the best beginner spiders is a Brachypelma albipolsum (hundoran curly hair or woolly tarantula) stick to new world species if your planning on doing handling

6. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

Thanks Lolita ;)

7. Lolita

Lolita Elite Member

no problem i have like 20 tarantulas so i always enjoy the chance to talk about the little guys

8. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

I would say a B. smithi, that is what I started with, easy and fun to care for. Great color for a starter. A. avicularia is another alot of people start with, but they are arboreal. I would avoid an OBT, poces and cobalts.