This Disappears When Logged In

Wondering

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Shadowfrog, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadowfrog

Shadowfrog Member

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Unless I am mistaken, that tank is roughly 2 gallons of water. Can it be heated? Yes, its possible to heat it but the heater you are linking too is far more wattage than you need.

A 200 watt aquarium heater is typically designed for tanks around 30+ gallons. (At least here in the states.)

If my math is not inaccurate and that tank really is only 2 gallons, it is too small for Dwarf Frogs and Dwarf Clawed Frogs.

Again, unless I am mistaken, they also do best in a system with a filtration system. High PH can take them out as well, so you actually need to treat the tank as if fish were in it. (Which you can actually add to the tank depending on species, size, and aggression.)

To answer your question directly, you need a much lower wattage heater. They make a heater that is deigen for "up to" 5 gallons of water. It is much smaller and submersible. It is also a much lower wattage.

If you are interested in Dwarf Frogs (not to be confused with Dwarf Clawed frogs which grow larger), you should consider a ten gallon+ tank.

I am not an avid frog owner, and my knowledge is very limited so I hope others jump in to confirm or dispell anything I have written.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

There is a 25 watt heater out there for small tanks. I have one for my beta fish in a 4 gallon.

Here is a great care sheet for the frogs.
    And Rich, they do fine in small tanks, they hardly get big. Maybe the size if a silver dollar at the most.

Meet my Frogs : African Dwarf Frogs

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

And I am pretty sure that we recently had a topic on them where we all learned that they actually like still almost stagnant water.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

yup, they do OK with a filter, but prefer still. If you have a filter, be sure its the kind you can change the flow on. I have one in my beta tank with that option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.