This Disappears When Logged In

Woman dies after snakebite during church service

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by ajvw, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

This is very sad. For the woman and her family, and for the animals that don't deserve to be used for this kind of thing, and may now be destroyed because of people's choices. (Or do you think the snake, and others the church may have been using, will be turned over to someone who can properly care for them? If they are a native species, perhaps they will be protected.) I can't imagine these people are informed about how to properly care for these animals.

http://www.wbir.com/news/regional/story.aspx?storyid=39406

2. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Gone on for ever, i know of a few churches that do it. people like to be stupid, this being one of them. Im a christian, but they..ya wont go there not here.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That's one of those weird twists religion can go.

4. MoogleBass

Out of context is what it is

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I've heard of this practice before. As stated in the article, the concept is that if your faith is strong enough, you can handle venomous snakes and not be bitten. People will dance around weilding rattlesnakes and the like. Native species seem to be the most common from what I know.

It's unfortunate she didn't make it, but then again, you ought not to do something like that unless you're prepared to deal with the consequences. It's also sad that, according to her own beliefs, her faith wasn't as strong as she had thought. Perhaps this is cold, but I would have been interested to follow up on her reaction and her church's reaction had she survived. If she assumed she'd get bitten I doubt she'd have picked up the snake. I'm also curious as to what species of snake it was, and what will happen to it.

All keep in mind that religious wars aren't permitted here, so keep the conversation friendly, polite, and on topic. This is a reptile site, don't forget it ;)

6. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Yes -- I was a little worried about introducing this article, for fear folks would focus on the religious aspect instead of the reptile aspect. That's why I asked the reptile questions. I'm coming at this from the perspective of what is best for the reptiles...

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Have you seen any articles that disclose more information? This one was pretty brief. Again, not to be cold so much as to-the-point, but we already know what happened to the woman. I want to know what happened to the snake :rolleyes:

8. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

9. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

I think 60 minutes did a show on this topic about 5 years ago. The took hidded camera into the service etc.

10. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

You'd think with all the reading they do down there someone woulda read something about certain snakes being deadly...Some people in that area only read one book though, which is a shame.

I hope there's no attempt to "strike back" on the snakes, from what I've observed from their handling skills they might end up on the short end of that stick.

11. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY Elite Member

the church is actually violating the law(assuming they owned the snake), venomous reptiles are banned in KY

12. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

I'm not going to express my opinion on this, I would just like to ask the religious people here if they feel it wouldn't be enough if the concept was "if your faith is strong enough, you can handle snakes and not be bitten"?

13. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Not sure if I'm understanding you, rbl, but I think you're saying perhaps it would be safer to practice with non-venomous snakes, and see if one could avoid being bitten at all (as opposed to handling venomous species and seeing if one survives a bite). That would certainly be safer for the humans involved. But I still am concerned about the snakes... I am hoping that the fact that the species involved is likely a native one will provide the animal protection from being destroyed. (But how often in situations like this are the snakes given proper care -- are they returned to the wild after they are used?) The woman who died was certainly a victim, and I am so sad for her family, but I think the snake was a victim, too. And the fact that some of the news pieces that I saw on this were using pictures of garter snakes to accompany the text was really strange. Are some people now going to think that the next garter snake they see in their yard is a timber rattler and kill it?

14. MoogleBass

natural selection

15. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I remember seeing this, it may have been on the discovery channel, I can't remember.

16. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

a shame on both sides, the women and the reptile(if they choose to destroy it)it just goes to show that one rarley wins when going against nature.

17. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

I've read the bible, and whether you read it as a christian, jew, atheist, etc. no where does it say "venemous" serpent. I have seen things like this practiced, if this practice must happen, why not just use rat snakes, they bite at everything, and will not kill you and you can probably catch one right before service, and let it go again right after. People really are just stupid, like a wise man once said "Religion is the opiot of the masses." I am not insulting religion, but people take faith over common sense because "The bible says...", and tend to lose. That poor snake was probably stressed out of its mind and was just wanting to get away and was forced to bite, and is probably either on its way to euthenasia or has already been killed.

18. Knox

Knox Elite Member

My hometown station here in Knoxville! Represent!!!!

As a strong, Bible believing Christian, I will give you my take on this... Again, not to argue religion, but rather this practice.

The earliest manuscripts we have of the letters/books which make up the Bible do not have that passage in them. Most Bibles will have a reference stating such - NAS, NIV, NKJV generally. These were probably "snuck in" during translation by scribes who worked for King James. To Christians, this does not negate the validity of the Bible as a whole, as everything else is held up 100% when compared to the Dead Sea Scrolls and other ancient artifacts containing copies of Biblical writings.

So, I believe this practice has zero biblical foundation. It is practiced mainly by small, pentacostal churches in rural areas.

(Some also drink strichnine - I probably flubbed that spelling - , as that obscure passage references not being harmed by poison as well).

19. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I agree with you Knox. Some of these off-shoot religions base their entire beliefs on a scripture taken entirely out of context.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.