This Disappears When Logged In

Woke Up to an Empty Cage Yesterday!

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by PrincessPiper, Jul 1, 2012.

1. PrincessPiper

PrincessPiper Well-Known Member

I can only write this calmly because we found her... but I woke up Saturday morning and went to go turn her UV lights on and check on her like I do every morning. I did not see her. Emptied out the whole cage and she wasn't in there. What was weird though is that the lid hadn't been disturbed at all. There are no holes or anything and there are no kids here to let her out. We cleared out all underneath my bed, etc. Here she had climbed up the tv, up the antenna which knocked the antenna down and ended up underneath my entertainment center.

LONG STORY SHORT. I stayed up last night trying to figure out how she was getting out and I figured out most of the way. She was using her stick on hygrometer! She climbs up, puts her whole body on it and keeps pushing the top til she can get out. So I blocked off everything (Those clamps do not work) and hopefully she stays put until Thursday when I make another new lid!

Argh.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Simple, inexpensive fix.
    Velcro!
    DSC01313.jpg
    DSC01314.jpg
    DSC01315.jpg

Attached Files:

4. PrincessPiper

ooh smart! Then I don't have to redo the whole lid. :) THank you!

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Never been a fan of the gravity hold lids, when they first started making the slide in screen lids All my escape issues disapeared.

Glad you found her quickly :)

6. PrincessPiper

My father in law just wants me to bring over my tank and he is going to build a lid holder right onto my tank and then a new lid which only opens on top like a door. :)

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sounds like a great father in law :)

8. PrincessPiper

He is. Plus my mother in law is afraid of my snake so he thinks it's funny. :)

9. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

That sounds like something my dad would do. XD

10. PrincessPiper

OMG I don't know if I'm gonna make it til tomorrow to get a new lid! It is now about 1 am my time and for the last three hours I have been watching her like a hawk and finally figured out how she got out. She learned how to pop the staples on her mesh lid! WTF? I am so afraid to go to sleep and have her escape. So I put both mesh lids, a large picture frame, clamped the lids, books, bricks, etc on top!

11. PrincessPiper

Hahah it seems like she is now "pouting" that I caught her in the act and put her back in her tank. Like I said last three hours have been non stop escape attempts and now she curled up by her rock and fell asleep. :) I WIN Skanky snake!

12. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

When I kept ball pytons I had one attempt an escape (I left the lid off while I was cleaning for whatever reason), and he made it to the floor, then turned his head around and went right back into his tank. I speculate, though I don't know for sure, that it might be because I have cement floors which are perpetually cold.

13. PrincessPiper

So she attempted to get out four more times in the night! I woke up this morning couldn't find her and tore the house apart. Here she was in the roof of her hide (It's a tiki head and she was in the top where you couldn't see her) So agitated. I am going to go to Petsmart today because i'm thinking by the time my FIL keeps making lids I might as well go and buy a mesh one. Can I just put a piece of plywood over it for now and cut out holes for air?