This Disappears When Logged In

Witar python

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by Rainforest1, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainforest1

Rainforest1 Active Member

I just got to see and hold the coolest snake I have ever seen!Its called a witar python.They come from the island of Witar in Indonesia.As of right now there are only 8 in the U.S.A We have 2 of them.Male and female.There isnt much known about them,as a matter of fact,there has been debate on whether it is a species of water python or another species altogether.
    The story behind these is:A group of scientists were studying on the island(Witar)and noticed the species.Well the islands around Indonesia still have "pirates".The team went there with 8 and came back with 4 I think it was.Another team of Aussies went and same thing happened to them.The leader of the first team was talking to an Indonesian man who new of the snake,he said he would give the man 100$ for each speciman.The man set off and grabbed 8 of the pythons.On the way back his boat was ramsacked by "pirates" and it sank.He had the 8 specimans in bags and swam with them to a small island.He survived one year on the island and kept the snakes alive.Finally a passing ship picked him up and he took the snakes to the scientist and those are the ones that are here in the U.S..Not much is Know about them especially they're numbers in the wild.Since no team wants to go there becuase of the previous accidents.
    Thought I would share it with you guys.I will have some pics next time I go!

2. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

No pics?

3. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I can't wait to see some pics of them. Thank you for sharing that story with us it's neat to hear a little bit of history of a species every once in a while.

4. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

thats pretty cool but definitely would love to see pics. :)

5. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

quite a story...never heard it before though. Amazing for some dude to keep all 8 snakes alive with no enclosures...quite an acomplishment! Pics are def in order:D

6. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

We want pictures!

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Do you know the scientific name of the snakes?

8. Rainforest1

Not right off hand but I can find out tomorrow if youd like.

9. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

yeah...scientific names would help. Common names suck, because they are different everywhere you go. Allows for no confusion... thanks

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I know did a search for Witar pythons and came up empty handed!

11. BRIZZY

BRIZZY Banned User

That's awesome pics would be so sweet!

12. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

I did a search too and couldn't find anything. I really want to learn more -- that story is fascinating! The guy who survived on the island with the snakes should write a book! I'll ghost-write it for him if he wants... (for a small fee)

13. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

That is really cool, I'm intrigued, the scientific name would be great

14. lee

lee Elite Member

look for dunns/wetar python(liasis mackloti dunni) or water python (liasis mackloti fuscus) and youll find your snake pics guys
    ive got pics of mine somewhere on this site

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Found them ;) http://www.herpcenter.com/search.php?searchid=89119

16. Rainforest1

That looks like them...Lee-you have one! Thats awesome! Some of the info I have given is old then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.