This Disappears When Logged In

Winter's Coming... Heat?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by dankaholic256, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dankaholic256

dankaholic256 Active Member

Hmm. There is a new turn of events. She's not eating her mice right away anymore. She used to go right at it, and now she stares it down for 5-15 minutes and then just goes into her covered hide. She then eats it an hour or two later. What gives?

2. dankaholic256

P.S. Frozen/Thawed

3. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Are you making sure that it is completely thawed and even warm when you give it to her?

4. dankaholic256

Well, it sits in hot water for a while thawing out, then I dry it off. Maybe it gets too cold, because she seems to eat it after a while of staring at it.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Has she always been on frozen-thawed? If not, it may be her way of adjusting to it. If so - well, snakes are not always consistent in their eating habits. As long as she is eating, I wouldn't worry overly much. Many snakes fast this season, so even if she stopped eating, I wouldn't worry much unless she was acting unhealthy (excessive laziness, weight loss, etc).

Sometimes, the warm water isn't enough for my more finicky eaters. I have on occasion used a hair blow-dryer to warm up mice, or make sure they are placed in a warm spot in the cage (under lamp, or over an under-tank heater).

6. dankaholic256

Yeah, I'm going try placing it underneath the lamp next. Thanks for the advice.

7. rick1iam

rick1iam Subscribed User Premium Member

As an inactive member I am walking softly here. I own a little store in Upper Michigan and I sell a variety of unrelated products. One is a low voltage self regulating heating system. I have experience in whole house heating, baths, kitchens and vivariums. After building a large enclosure for my ig I kinda feel sorry for anyone who struggles with heat tape.

I have made mats with the product I sell but have been to busy or lazy to put my web site up and push it. It's self regulating, safe and durable. Check out STEP Warmfloor™ it is very different.

I am slow at emails but will be happy to answer any questions.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I grew up in Michigan - Wish I'd known about that stuff then, it would have been much less of a headache keeping my Ball Python warm.

How would I go about getting some of that stuff?

9. rick1iam

rick1iam Subscribed User Premium Member

It's low voltage so it requires a transformer which varies wildly in price and quality. The mat without wire, crimps, transformer or tape to cover the crimps cost $12-$20 a foot. I can sell it but you don't just plug it in. I put 6 strips about 4' long in my enclosure that is about 5x5x3 (the pricer stuff). Those are made to maintain low 90s temp and usually used for snow melt. Because of the insulation and heat the uv lamp gives off I only run 2 strips.

I should have just put the regular stuff in that I put in homes. It maintains low 70s.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I wouldn't need too much heat here - Florida.

My installation expertise is limited. I'd be quite hopeless if it required anything more than the very basic (Jell-o confounds me... electronics are a potential hazard to my mental well-being)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.