This Disappears When Logged In

Wings...

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by DwarvenChef, Mar 18, 2012.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Back in the day, well ok back in the early 90's, doesn't seem that long ago to me really. While I was experimenting with a firebelly toad river tank, I again was looking for multiple bug resources to feed my frogs and toads. While at the counter in a daze (looks that way when I'm thinking to much), I noticed the girls at the counter (ya hard not to I know) where tossing alot of little dark brown things in the trash. I asked if they had trouble with a shipment of mealworms they said the meal worms where fine but the wax worms got a bit warm and pupated, they toss out the pupae... WHAT?? I asked Why? Seems customers didn't like getting "ugly" black things in their wax worm tubs... Bone heads... I asked if they where just going to toss em if I could have them added to my weekly bug pick up. They had no problem with that as I was already a weekly customer.

What I ended up doing was to set up a mug (froggy coffee mug) inthe center of the tank clearing and added the pupae to it with the shavings they came in. As the mothes hatched and climbed to the rim of the mug to build up their wings... (BANG) a frog or toad would come flying across the tank and snap it up. I never had that same feeding responce from any crawling bug, but man you put in anything with wings and the second they flap, I'd imagin all kinds of laser sights trained on the item the second it started flapping lol.

I was reminded of this today when I got some new L(something) roaches from a petshop here in town (not a big box store but close enough to give me the willies)... In the batch was a couple winged roaches and I wanted to get them out of the way fast. I grabbed one with the tweezers and started placing it in the tank near the entrance to O-Ushi's cave. She is weird about hiding in there when anything aproaches the tank or when a loud noise happens, like the lid sliding open. Anyhow I get about 8" from the cave and the roach flaps it's wings.... laser dots apear... O-Ushi comes flying out of her cave and lands on the tongs and rips the roach out of the tongs... I didn't have time to even think of reacting lol She gulps it down looks up at me and skoots back into her cave. I was laughing to much for her I guess.

Anywhy I was currious if anyone else out there have worked with winged food items? Sure they can be a problem if you don't take precaussions to keep them contained. I'd love to hear of others work on this as well as their stories :)

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I have fed winged food items too! I feed turkestan roaches and dubia roaches, and I was breeding wax worms until I accidentally killed my population when I had the flu. I feed the winged male roaches to my savannah monitor. She goes pretty crazy. :)

I have fed the wax moths to my anoles and tree frogs and they went pretty crazy too! :) I think my sav is attracted to them because they're roaches, but the anoles and tree frogs were definitely attracted to the movement of the wings. :)

3. Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo Elite Member

When I was quite young I caught a wild tree frog and kept it in captivity for a couple months and then released it back into the wild. At the time I didn't know the risks of wild caught insects (Pesticides/insecticides) although it was straight from the wild so looking back it wouldn't have really been anything different. I would turn on my porch light and just catch wild moths to feed to him. To this day I have never seen as good of a feeding response as this frog had, darting all across the cage catching anything he could.

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

At times I wish... ok I always wish I lived in an area where I could step out the door and catch a bug and not worry about what chemicals it has been exposed to.

I strongly believe that a veriety diet is key to a healthy critter... and keeper as well. By cutting out large food groups and relying on manmade concoctions to make up the difference just seems wrong. Like we know everything about nutrition to say that "this is all you need to know" HA. I want my critters to have all I can do to make them happy and a verity of diet seems to make them happy, so I will always run around looking for as many food items as I can find. Ok ranting on again...

I'm picking up a pack of wax worms tonight just to let them pupate (I just know I'm spelling this wrong :p ) I'd love to see the reaction. I'm also currious if the fat conten changes with the metamorphisis... Oh well :p

5. Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo Elite Member

Yes I completely agree with your statement. Unfortunately there are so few areas, particularly in the U.S., where it is possible without risk. Here in NE it's extremely unfortunate because there are just so many insecticides/pesticides for agriculture :(. I'm also curious about the nutritional difference between wax worm larvae, and when they turn into moths.