This Disappears When Logged In

Window Well Enclosure

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by langley182, Jul 10, 2011.

1. langley182

langley182 New Member

Hello. I am moving into a basement, and was going to custom build a new cage for my 2 growing beardies. Then I saw the window well and thought, "that would be so great if I could turn that into an enclosure." So, I have a few obstacles to overcome in order to do this. I live in Utah so the temps range from 110F in July, to -10F in Jan. (Beardies like a basking spot of 100-110F, and 80-ish elsewhere). The well is shaded probably 65% of the day. I am thinking of building a wood frame to fit inside the well, which I could then insulate. The real problem would be the opening at the top. Would it be enough to do 2 covers with some space between them? Does anyone know of a certain cover that would do the trick? Any custom lighting ideas? Let me know what you think.

2. Reed22

Reed22 Elite Member

i think it would be alot safer and easier to build an enclosure and put it inside you house. if the temps outside go to -10 in the winter, i dont think any insulation you can safely use woudl keep them warm enough. just get plywood sheets from homedepot, they're cheap and good insulation and just build it in your basement.

3. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Why on earth would you use a window well? I am familiar with what you are talking about and the only use I have ever found for them is to fill them in and plant flowers. You will overheat the dragons in the summer. Glass makes light turn to heat without beneficial UVB rays ( a glass oven) and if they live through the summer it will freeze them, are you planing on leaving the enclosure screened on the outside part? If you do I can foresee a stray cat or dog digging into it for the little dragons. I would recommend that you keep then indoors and a little lower to the ground than a window well, they need a 4 to 6'x 3' area to roam in.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It is an inventive idea. However I would agree that the summer temps are going to raise the temps very high and you won't be able to lower them.
    Perhaps you could build a sun-shade outside to keep it in full shade.
    The winter months will also create problems and you would need to likely create an insulated wall to keep the glass warm.

5. langley182

langley182 New Member

So what if I actually build a plug that would seal the top of the well completely? I would pack it with insulation, and as I said above, insulate the walls. It would essentially be an extension of the house. For those of you who are concerned about size, this well is about equal to a 125 gallon tank, which is more than sufficient for 2 dragons. I would run at least one (maybe even 2) uv lights, and of course they would have a great basking area. Also, for those of you who would think I would stick them out there without having tested this all first, you shouldn't assume the worst in people. I love my dragons, and this would be a great place for them to see what is going on inside, and meet new people (it is by front entrance).

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That should work fine if it's sealed off from the outside. Would basically be an enclosure in the wall then.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Nobody is assuming the worst in you. We don't know you or what you know. You asked for thoughts on your intended project and you are getting them. People are just pointing out possible issues that you may not have thought of yourself.
    We are just trying to keep you out of trouble.;)

8. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

I am not thinking the worst in you I just know how big mine always were( the windows) if you are saying that yours are that big then as long as you insulate it and cover the outside part it may just work. As I am used to the smaller wells I personally would like to see pics of your build.

( I am used to small widow wells not even big enough to light a room.)

9. Alyssa8

Alyssa8 Active Member

I had the same idea a few weeks ago, but everyone had shot me down.i live in the suburbs near Chicago. I wanted to make two window well enclosures for my bearded dragon and box turtle.Its pretty humid this summer and people thought of all kinds of bad things that could happen to my beardie because he cant be in humidity.I dont know what its like in Utah though...i would love to hear what the outcome of your plan is though.i hope it successfully works.