This Disappears When Logged In

Will This Work?

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by Wyldrose, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

So the kid is still bugging me for a tarantula... Petland has in some fancy red mexican (something something) etc for $179 + tax so I passed (haha not spending close to $200 for an animal I dont want lol!!!)
    If I can convince the kid to wait for spring so we can go to the reptile show he can get something there. Don't need any thing fancy. He wants a simple black fuzzy spider (who doesnt???)

So I found this really neat idea where you turn a fish tank on it's side and make a plexi glass door. I got a sheet of plexi glass at the restore and some hinges. Just have to get some thumb latches and silicon to attach it. Need to grind the screws down too. Kinda got delayed when I cut open my finger and needed 4 stitches... Yay...
    Is 10"x16" enough floor space for a tarantula?

Here's what I have done so far (human monster #4 found my sharpies...)
    Door closed
    027-18.jpg
    Door open
    028-19.jpg

So if it's not good for a T, I'll put a baby leo in it until it grows a bit. I have lots of plexi left over and picked up a nice tall 15-20 gal for $10 at Petland. Thats going to have the same idea/door done so I can move Hunter my current Leo into it. Then her tanks empty :) I have a 30 gal too that I hope to make a door for. My jigsaw works better to cut then my xacto knife so going to save my fingers!

Attached Files:

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I think it should be for most common tarantulas. You can distract you child by javin him build a haunted house/hide for the tarantula...really neat to see the spiders climb tiny buildings.

3. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

That would work or any aboreal/semi aboreal T or terrestrial T! Rose hairs are big f you get females an they won't be more then 20 bucks! G pulchras are GIANT black fuzzie tarantulas and they wil be around 40-80 rang! Or a pink toe though they are jumpy and will shoot poop at you lol!

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I like this idea. Don't know about the tarantula but the cage looks nice. Magic eraser will erase sharpie markers off things but I'm.not sure about using the product around animals.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It's on glass so windex should work.

6. iRene

iRene Elite Member

Nail polish remover will also remove permanent ink. Be sure to let it dry and let the fumes evaporate completely. May I ask how you are holding the door to the tank?

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

The door will be siliconed on the bottom and thumb latches Amazon.com: Thumb Latch for Locking Mailboxes: Patio, Lawn & Garden to hold the door shut locked on the top. I'm going to look for some with the key'd lock ;)

The sharpie is on the outside so it'll take nothing to get it off :) Mr clean magic eraser or nail polish remover works the best :)
    I migh just paint all the glass black (minus the door of course).

Petland has just the one and he is awesome but out of my budget, 4 kids to buy for and I try to be even with the money spent per kid. Petsmart doesnt get them in or can order so I'll check the other petshop tomorrow :) I know she gets the rose hairs in and she might be able to order one for me.

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Well looks like we are waiting for the spring reptile shows to get one.
    The Mom and Pop shop got in 4 rose hairs $69.99 each and 4 pink toes $79.99 each.
    I took Kaile in to see them and he wants a pure black one. Well lets hope the show in Edmonton has a better turn out :)

9. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

70 dollars for a rose hair! That's insane. Good luck at the show! I've seen baby Rosie's for 7 dollars at some.

10. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

you can order tarantulas online fairly cheap.

11. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Yep but shipping for live animals where I live is plane only, and that is a $100 ticket. So we will wait :)

That gives us plenty of time for use to make the cage look all cool, I love the haunted house theme maybe a grave yard with a crypt :)

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

THats brilliant! I might have to get a spider...
    So far my CWD has rainforest ruins and the beardie an old west ghost town (well once the cages are completed this will be what they are). A spider crypt and a snake post-apocalyptic themed cages would set it off nicely...
    If I have any success at being crafty it would look awesome!

13. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I just have to avoid cutting myself :) lol! Still can't bend my finger, stitches come out monday. I'm sure I wont have full use of that finger for atleast a month! If you missed the post : http://www.herpcenter.com/general-discussion/44999-ooops-i-did-again-gross-picture.html The pain is 80% better it still hurts bad if I bump it though.
    I went to give my 5yr old 2 thumbs up yesterday but it didn't work :( He got a Thumb up and a Gun lol!

14. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

So this Vendor will be at the show : Tarantula Canada - English
    We have gone through the list and Kaile has decided on one of these 3:
    Holothele sp. Dominica Republic
    Psalmopoeus irminia
    Grammostola pulchra

Now I'm going to email them and see if any of the 3 will be at the show and all that fun stuff :)

15. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

those are all gorgeous spiders though The Psalmopoeus irminia or sun tiger-a bite from that dude will leave you heading for the car to go to the emergency room it will hurt so bad those are a display animal. I have no Experience with the first one but the G.pulchras ate famous for being gentle giants and really cool, fat, slow moving spiders c: good luck!

16. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Ok crossing the 2nd one off the list lol!
    The G. Pulchras is our top pick from the group :)

17. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Great choice! though because of their size they might need a little more floor space to crawl around on.