This Disappears When Logged In

Will This Bulb Work?

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Brennan, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

2. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Should do just fine. The 5.0 Bulbs are rated for 12" away i believe it is. And the 10.0 is for 20" away. Depending on how large of an enclosure you have him in.

3. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

Would you recommend a MVB instead? It seems like it would take alot of the guesswork out.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The fluorescent tubes must be within 12inches of the animal to be effective as far as the UVB is concerned, also, the one you mention is only 18inches long, it should be almost as long as the enclosure,. The megarays are the very best on the market, far superior to the strip lights, producing UVB close to natural unfiltered sunlight at the recommended distances, (plus heat).

5. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

I know this isnt a megaray but would this bulb work just as well for a beardie Zoo Med 160 watt Powersun UVB heat bulbs And also this may be a dumb question by the way, but f you have a MVB on a thermostat will the beardie still get the amount of UV light he needs?

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

You can not have a mvb on a thermostat

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Well actually you could. But the constant turning on and off will seriously shorten the life of your bulb. And you want the UVB running all day long.

8. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

Okay thats what I thought, so I am going to have to guess and check haha