This Disappears When Logged In

Will People Ever Learn To Leave Wild Snakes Alone???

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by scottnsteph, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottnsteph

scottnsteph Donating Member

A few things really got me mad and I just have to vent... :mad:

First of all, my sister and her kids found a garter snake in the grass outside their house. Instead of just leaving it be, they decided to "catch" it. They put it in one of those tiny little plastic containers they sell for hermit crabs. The snake was a nice size - about 18" - way too big for this little container. Then they put some grass in it. I came for a visit six days later and they showed me what they "caught." This poor snake had been outside on the porch in this tiny little box for SIX days!!!!! :( I was so mad. I took it and released it back where they found it. Stupid people!!!

Secondly in my local newspaper was an article about a girl who may lose her arm from being bitten by a Copperhead. Upon further reading, it turns out another stupid person decided to pick up a snake he found in a park. He put it in a shoebox. He brings it to school and it bites the girl on the finger. They don't even know what kind of snake it is and she isn't taken to the hospital until 45 minutes later. And what's worse is the snake is missing... when the girl was bitten, she threw it across the room and the boy who originally found it thought it was dead so he picked it up and threw it outside. Apparantly, it was just stunned so now it's on the school property somewhere.

I just can't believe people are that stupid. And it's the snake that gets the bad rap because it bit someone.

Anyway... I just wanted to share that. Thanks!

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Unfortunantly, ignorance leads to things like that. Once the school department locates the snake, it will be destroyed because it is "dangerous". Had the kid left the snake alone, no one would have gotten injured and the snake would be safe. Education is the only way to prevent further incidents.

3. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

That's so sad for the snake, and I hope things turn out ok for the girl. Rich is so right...education is the key.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Agreed,,,thats why education needs to start early. :(

5. scottnsteph

scottnsteph Donating Member

You're all absolutely right. Education is so important. When I tell people that I have snakes, the comments amaze me - people are so ignorant. I use that opportunity to given them the facts and dispell the myths. There are still so many people out there that think snakes are slimy!!! Every year at my Church, I have a man come in to do a "Reptile Show" for the kids. He's known as "The Reptile Guy." He's a very experienced herp owner and speaker. He brings many different species of reptiles - Blue Tongued Skink, Bearded Dragon, Red Tailed Boa, Ball Python, Rat Snake and the list goes on. He educates the kids (and adults!) about reptiles while tying it into a Bible teaching. He's really good! And the kids get to handle the reptiles. It's awesome to see the kids fall in love with the reptiles!!! What's even more funny is to see all the parents run for cover when the reptiles come out to play!!! LOL :)

6. rustytotten

rustytotten Elite Member

I read that article just a while ago and was dumbfounded at the stupidity of these kids! Hopefully the little girl is ok, but unfortunately the snake is the one who will pay most dearly if they find him. It is too bad that the reps are the ones who suffer most for doing what comes naturally......

7. herpguy

herpguy Member

I will admit that I used to take innocent snakes out of the wild give them a bad habitat, and the worst part is I would get mad at other people for doing what I was doing. It took me until just recently to figure out that what I was doing is wrong. Now, I think that if everyone read the article you talked about, maybe all of this crulety to snakes will stop.

8. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

When I helped with the reptile shows at my fair there was SO many people who thought that snakes were slimy! It's also funny how many people don't know that not every snake is dangerous, they think that all snakes have deadly venom. There is a quote I think of every time things like this happen.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    Albert Einstein

But then there is this logic too.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
    Albert Einstein

9. herpguy

herpguy Member

A lot of people still think frogs and toads give you warts...So some teenagers killed the innocent little creatures at the pond near my house :( . There are barely any left. The good news is some friends and i convinced them to stop.

Quote = [cough] george w. bush

10. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

Every person has done a few really stupid things in life, my brother once brought home a huge octopus from the bay and asked my mom if he could keep it in our pool. LOL

I used to catch garter snakes then let them go, I once found an entire nest of babies that had just hatched....well, there were tons of babies in one area anyways. I just hope herp awareness will grow soon, all animals not just herps are treated wrongly by a lot of people.

Now now, no need to get political.

11. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Unfortunately there will always be those ignorant people who think that they are superior to "lesser" animals and have the right to do what they want with them. At least there are also people like you and all of us here that have the respect and knowledge to allow these animals the lives that they deserve.

12. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

sometimes you have to interfear though.

few years ago when i was living in a small city, i had a cat that spent one summer catching garter snakes in the back yard. over the summer he caught atleast 10 of em total, most of them young, under a foot long. most were still alive when i saw the cat playing with them. found a few that were dead. the ones that were alive were lethargic and injured with bite holes and scratches from the cat. i brought them inside and set up a 10 gal tank for them with dirt, leaves, sticks, and other things from outside to make them feel like they were at home and mostly left them alone. took them to a park and let them go after a few weeks when they got better.

it was nice having them and nursing them back to health. but wild snakes are too wild to keep as pets.
    i'll still catch an occasional snake in the park to look at it for a few mins though.

13. daknak

daknak Member

It definatly sucks that the snake would pay for what it did because it's deemed "dangerous". Im going to pull from what an amazing comedian once said(he was talking about a tiger, but anyways) That snake didn't go crazy and attack anyone, it went SNAKE. Crazy for a snake is being in a shoebox and flung around by some kid.

14. Natalie

Natalie Member

Haha... Tell that to my Banded California King, Chewbacca. ;)

I caught him as a three-foot adult, and he never bit or musked or anything. He was eating three thawed fuzzies a week after I got him, and is very tame when held. Sometimes I wonder if he's mentally "disabled" or if he was an escaped pet, because I've heard that wild kings can be hard to tame. Even my captive-bred king isn't nearly as tame as he is.

I'm not completely against collecting wild snakes, but I feel that it should always be done responsibly. That means it needs to be done legally (around here you need a fishing license), and only common snakes that do well in captivity should be collected. I've caught tons of snakes (mostly Sharp-Tailed Snakes, Garters, and Ringnecks), but I've only kept one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.