This Disappears When Logged In

Will Having a Nearly Constant Light Source Bother the Snake?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Khorne, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

I keep my snake in my bedroom, and most often am staying up all night with the room light on. I hadn't thought much about it till I turned the light off for a bit and realized that he seems much more active in the dark. So, would having a nearly constant light source in the room at night mess up his activity schedule (For lack of better term)?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Without knowing what kind of snake you have, it's hard to say, but a lot of snakes are nocturnal. So they may be more hesitant to be active while the lights are on. Also depends on how long you've had it, it's personality, and to some extent the condition in which it's kept. Species and a pic of the cage and snake would help some.

3. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

A corn, I've forgotten how long I've had it (Horrible memory) but its some where around 8 weeks.
    DSCN5433.JPG
    Edit: Note, the thermometer has been since moved down from that close to the light

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Try covering the tank or putting up cardboard blinders at night.

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

All animals require some sort of photoperiod. The constant light will/could have a negative affect. You should be trying to create a 12 and 12 cycle. (light and dark at 12 hours each.)

6. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

I found a quick solution that seems to work, I just turn on the desk lamp in the back of the room and turn the main light off, gives of enough light to see but not to much (Seems to have worked for him)