This Disappears When Logged In

Will a Hypo Hog Island Boa Be Smaller That a Regular Hog Island??

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by jezabella1982, Apr 2, 2011.

1. jezabella1982

jezabella1982 Well-Known Member

I got a hypo hog and am hoping that it will still grow to be about 5 ft like the regular hogs do. I'm not sure tho.
    Also, the fact that it is hypo means it's not pure hog right? What else would it be mixed with?? Another morph of hog, or something totally different ?

2. HERPies

HERPies Elite Member

Hypo comes from colombians. But they gave been bred into the hoggs for a while now, so it coud be predominantly hogg. I would just ask the breeder.

3. jezabella1982

So if it is bred with Colombian wouldn't it get very large? I guess it depends on the percent...?

4. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

i would think that it would grow larger than an average hog but smaller than an average columbian, probably around 7 feet i would guess.

5. HERPies

HERPies Elite Member

The standard sizes are too liberal I think. I just left a breeders house, specializing in morphs (columbian) and he has a 5 year old and a 4 year old both around 4-5 feet as females. There is so much room in their genetics that this 6-8 foot is almost a false statement. I bet that yours will bee under 5 feet no problem! especially if its male. And that's if its 50% columbian. Like I said before, they have bred the hypo into the hoggs for a few years at least, that it could be less than 10% columbian now...

6. jezabella1982

boo:-( i hope it will get to at least 5 ft....lol
    i think mine is 65% hog.

7. HERPies

HERPies Elite Member

It all depends on parents... It could be from a larger hogg and a large columbian bred into the line for the hypo. only time, and big rats will tell!

8. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

You know, honestly I think a lot of breeders have pretty small male animals compared to normal, I'm not sure why. Maybe it's all the other snakes around and the breeding season putting them out of an eating mood that keeps them smaller since they aren't packing in the rats like usual. Not every breeder has small animals though, I think it's just something I noticed about the ones I saw at the convention.

Feed your snake a good diet on a good schedule and I'm sure he'll grow at a nice rate. He might end up being a little 'short' but it's okay, I'm sure he'll have a lot of personality to make up for it! :D This is why I bought a girl colombian, lol! I do hope she gets nice and big :)