This Disappears When Logged In

Wild Turtle, Adjusting Good To New Home.

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by DJFELONY, Nov 11, 2015.

1. DJFELONY

DJFELONY Elite Member

Found a small turtle one day about two months ago while swimming in a creek. My kids and wife wanted to keep it. So we brought it home. At first it stayed in a small fish bowl, with about a half inch of water and mud. After a week or two we decided to put him in our family fish tank. He has been in here for over a month now, and is really active and happy. It's all water, with a floating turtle pad at top, that the turtle week never go on. The other fish in the tank are still doing good. Ammonia did go up for a scare at first. But it has been steady for the last few weeks. Can't get it to go down to the safe area, but it doesn't go up to the toxic area neither. Usually stays at the top of alert, before alarm. The turtle is eating shrimp in the pictures.

Attached Files:

2. animallover56

animallover56 New Member

If I were you, I would either give the turtle to a wildlife center, or release it. It is technically against the law to disturb wildlife, or take them from their homes.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not completely accurate. It depends on location and species. Many are legal to collect and keep assuming they are not endangered or other wise listed as protected.

4. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

It appears the turtle you have is a 3 striped mud turtle. Can't tell really, but if that mud ball is a baby, that water is way too deep and the lil guy is at risk of drowning. He may appear to be doing well but Mud and musk turtles are horrible swimmers, especially babies. Also, mud turtles utilize land areas quite often. He may not be using the floating device you're offering because he cant physically get on.

Mud turtles generally prefer shallow water, babies specifically and shouldn't be housed in waters deeper than 2". Adults can handle and are found in deeper waters but they too actually prefer shallowish water.

Were it me, I'd put the lil guy in a well vegetated 10g aquarium with 2" of water and branches that will allow the turtle access to completely dry off.
    Otherwise, drowning and skin illnesses are likely. Don't forget UV bulbing.

5. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

It looks like a common Musk turtle, should be fine as long as you have a basking spot UVB and supplement with D3. He will eat smaller fish though.