This Disappears When Logged In

Wild Snake

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by ariesmommy, Dec 17, 2011.

1. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

OK so today I got Viper out and he is being handled very well but....he discovered the wall again and also our deer head :) He climbed onto our couch and up the wall and onto the deer...next thing you know....its picture perfect timing. I snapped a few pics (the ones below) to show his length and beauty. I absolutely love his stomach :) anyways I have a question.....

Can they hiss??? When I was putting him back into his cage (he always hates this and tries his hardest to beat his mommy putting the lid on) anyways he started hissing. it was just one long hiss. He didnt curl up or anything like that but he was tryin his hardest to get back onto the wall i guess so he could explore more...well i just wanted to know if they could hiss or not...and what it means :) thanks....enjoy the pictures...i know i do :) <3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CountTripula

CountTripula Elite Member

Yes, they can hiss morphine does it sometimes. It's a warning thing maybe you did something he didnt like or he thought you were coming at him a little to fast.

3. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

He only does it when I go to put him in his cage....so obviously he loves me and all the things he can climb on more than his cage :) lol sweet....oh were getting him a 29 gallon tank and putting our BP in the 20 gallon. Im so excited because the 29 gallon comes with a stand but we might use to 20 gallon as a feeding tank wheres hes really long

4. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

I've never heard mine hiss and mine really really doesn't like me. He won't bite though unless he goes into striking position and starts flicking his tail.

5. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

I handled him a few times last week to get him used to being handled but then I didnt want to stress him out too bad so I left him alone the past 4 days and today he hissed everytime I got him anywhere near his cage. He hasnt went into strike mode once when I go to get him out but with my husband....he hates him. I just cant wait to get the 29 gallon tank and set it up. im so excited :) hes gonna be happy too.

6. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

I have always felt that snakes that have never been handled find the transition of being picked up and put down the most stressful. About the only thing you can do when picking them up is to move slowly by confidently. You dont want to act like a predator, but you dont want to act like prey either, lol.

But when putting down a snake, be it tame or still wild (so long as biting is not a concern), I always try to place my hands into the tank, and just allow the snake to crawl off of my hands by itself. I just lay my hand in the tank, and give gentle encouragement with my free hand if I have one.

Good luck with him/her. He/she is very pretty!

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Hissing usually means "I'm not happy with this situation."
    Our GTPs make a "puff/puff" kind of hissing sound when we wake them up, move them or if we offer them food when they don't want it.
    Pretty corn! He's definitely the explorer! :)

8. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

Well right now....he knows that if hes fast enough he will be able to get out of his enclosure and into the christmas tree in no time. He loves my miniature christmas tree. he found the tree the very first day i had him because he shot out of the bag i had him in and automatically in that tree lol. His name is Viper :) he is a beauty :) just think not even 9 months ago i was terrified of snakes but I own a snake....not only that...I own the biggest one in the house :) yay

thank you and yes he is. he know my christmas tree and also the deer horns but i guess the horns is my fault lol. i showed him but our other snakes flinched away from it like ugh. but i guess where the horns were bigger then them thats why they flinched from it. he probably thinks oh jungle gym fun time!!! ---the only time that he has hissed was when i was putting him back in the cage so i guess he doesnt like his cage. I can hear him hissing a few times after i put him in but once hes around my neck tryin to figure out what to climb on next you dont hear anything. so i guess he doesnt like being caged which i wouldnt either but his home is waaaaay better than the pet store he came from so it makes me wonder what he thinks im gonna do when im putting him back in his cage???

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great photos of Viper, love his belly! Looks like he is a happy little camper:)

10. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

Oh...he is :) I bet he cant wait to get out of this little 10 gallon tank and then into his 29 gallon :) I know its horrible of me to have kept him in the 10 gallon for a week but hes been in a 10 gallon for his whole life. Over the next few days I will be seeing if I can get it earlier because he really hates that 10 gallon and wants to spend all of his time outside of his enclosure. He is such a beauty and he deserves the prettiest biggest enclosure. I cant wait to get it :)

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

All snakes can hiss. LOL!
    Has he tail rattled at you yet?
    That seems to take people by surprise more than the hissing does.

12. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

Well see I'm a newbie to snakes until May of next year okay? lol our rosy boa (which hes tiny) and our BP has never hissed. only him, I just thought that I had made him mad but I kept putting him near his tank then letting him crawl around my neck and every single time I put him near his tank he hissed like crazy. He absolutely refuses getting back in his enclosure. Hes gonna really love his new one when I get it setup :) its a 29 gallon tank (as stated earlier) Im hoping to be able to put alot of things in there because he loves to hide whenever my husband comes in the room :) He hasnt tail rattled at me yet but he has done it to my husband....the only thing he has done with his tail is smack me in the face but that was the first day I handled him when I got him and it was his first day being handled....IN HIS WHOLE 2 1/2 YRS OF LIFE!!! He has learned to balance himself in my hands but he still loves climbing in my christmas tree. Is it horrible for me to leave it out all year and let him hang in it whenever he wants to when I get him out???? Cause he has a fit tryin to get out of my hands when he sees it. ALSO TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY HE HAS BEEN OUT AND ABOUT IN HIS ENCLOSURE :) YAY

13. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

Merlin......just wanted to tell you....thanks to you he rattled his tail at me today ): I went to get him out today for his usual handling and he didnt want no part of it. I saw him rattle his tail and he started hissing so I just left him alone. thanks alot ):

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

In my experience the tail rattling just means that you startled them. I never let it stop me from what I was doing.

15. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

Whenever I walk up to my cage and hold my hand out in front og=f the glass he either goes into strike mode and rattles his tail or he's curious and comes up to see me.