This Disappears When Logged In

Wild Gila Monster

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by huhwhat, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huhwhat

huhwhat Established Member

Out bopping around in the mountains today and found this guy crossing the road. He's about 14" long...

[​IMG]

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Very cool. I like the pattern. Thanks for sharing :)

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Awesome find. Looks pretty healthy.

4. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Dang your lucky. I want one so bad. Would love to see one in the wild too.

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Awesome!

6. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Nice one...also a dream to see one in the field one day...AZ seems like the place to check em! Heard it is very very strict though, you can't even pick em up to take a photo. In-situ photos of a gila would be awesome tho...hmmmm dreams

7. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Wonderful find! :)

8. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

How Beautiful!

9. huhwhat

You can't do anything with Gila Monsters. It is illegal to touch them, let alone pick one up and take it home.

10. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Yeah my herper friend from AZ (he is actually here in Africa at the moment as an intern with us) was also telling me about how they place captive or fake ones on the roads to catch people...awesome!!

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There are actually breeders who can sell Gila monsters!
    They even have them in different color morphs!
    It goes without saying that these are for very advanced keepers only!

12. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Yeah advanced keepers with deep pockets ;) or if you have deep pockets but no experience for keeping gilas you are welcome to still purchase one and either send it to me or moogle (nate).

13. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

See now I have a dilemma, if I saw a Gila in the road and determined that it wasn't a fake decoy I would be really inclined to move it off of the road even if it meant I had to touch it. Do you think the game warden would be apathetic or would just accuse me of harassing the wildlife?

14. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Hard to say, but if you had a hookstick or pillowcase in the back of your car. You would be getting a shiney new pair of bangles and three free meals a day. Oh and a free phonecall! whoo hoo!

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I think it would depend on the particular ranger and his state of mind.
    Some might applaud you for moving it off of the roadway.

However some of them (and I could name a couple personally!) are so full of themselves they will stick it to you just because they want to play big shot and throw their weight around.:mad:
    However atttempting to move a venomous animal without any equipment could be hazardous to both parties!

16. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Yes if you want you can buy me a Gila and Dev a Gila too. We won't complain at all :)

17. huhwhat

Yes, but not in AZ. And if you buy one somewhere else and bring it here, they will take it away from you. And if you can't prove it wasn't a wild caught, you'd be looking at a fine and possible jail time.

Highly unlikely, take my word for it. Bare minimum, you'd be looking at a warning, and maybe a fine for touching it, road or no road.

18. venus

venus Founding Member

Totally cool. :)

19. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Same as some areas in South Africa. People have been locked up for just having a hookstick!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.