This Disappears When Logged In

Widow

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by sulcataboy, Nov 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sulcataboy

sulcataboy Member

Does anybody own a black widow?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I believe Matt does (furryscaly)

3. sulcataboy

sulcataboy Member

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yup, I breed Latrodectus mactans and Latrodectus geometricus. They're very easy to keep, just don't get bit :p What did you want to know about them?

5. sulcataboy

sulcataboy Member

How to take care of them.

6. Sean Boyd

Sean Boyd Elite Member

Matt you suprise me! You breed Black Widows!!

7. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

You wouldn't believe some of the stuff Matt has living in his closet, haha

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

lol, yeah, I breed them. I keep my females in jars. I bend a stick to form a V shape, and put that inb the jar. It gives her something to attach a web to. Ideally, I'd make sure the stick doesn't come near the top of the jar. Its also not a bad idea to keep the jar upside-down. Widows make their webs up near the top, so if the jar's upside down, she'll rarely be near the opening.

I don't put air holes in my jars, cause a widow can last for more than a month on the air that's in there. Considering you'll be opening the jar to feed her every week or two, you don't need air holes. Then just feed her a gutloaded cricket whenever she starts to thin out. If she's fat and plump, she doesn't need food. The prey can be slightly larger than the spider. An adult widow can tackle an adult cricket with ease.

As I said, very easy to keep, just excersize extreme caution when opening that jar. Widows are faster than they look, and very quick to bite.

9. sulcataboy

sulcataboy Member

Do you sell your widows? How much?

10. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

Widows are super easy to keep. I also keep a few myself. Here is Latrodectus variolus
    [​IMG]

11. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

This is a L variolus juvenile
    [​IMG]

12. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.