This Disappears When Logged In

Why's my tortoise pyramiding????

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by replover, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. replover

replover Elite Member

Hey people I've had my baby sulcata for a few months and it has grown somewhat. It was slightly pyramided already from bad care at the pet shop feeding only vegie produce. So I thought hey, under my care I'd save it.

I've been feeding him weeds, grass, high fiber low protein foods and stuff 70%, and vegetables only 30%. Occasionally some treats like pumkin and peppers like once a month. The humidity is lowish in the tortoise table about 50% but the hide has a sponge in it that I try to keep wet as possible. It has water tray that allows him to soak in there and he does so every day. I give him calcium supplements 2 - 3 times a week and multivitamins/minerals 1 per week. He has a mercury vapor bulb and a gradient temperature from hot to cool side.

But it seems that it's pyramidding is getting worse. It doesn't have serious pyramidding when you look at it but the front half of his shell I can feel when I touch it that the lumps and groves in between are deeper than before.

Come to think of it, he has seemed more lazy, basking more and eating less, since I noticed the pyramiding but I don't know if that's my mind playing tricks or if it is real. But the shell is definitely more bumpy than before.

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

My Sulcata also has slight pyramiding, I did some research a while back as to the why's and there was no real answer. I have Tug on a great diet, plenty of quality UVB light, trips to the yard and proper temps and humidity and She is still showing signs. Even the tort in the ad on this page has some. It looks like it's time for more research!!!

3. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Hmmm same here also....great diet, Megaray UVB and still the pyramidding...

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I read what appeared to be a pretty good article last winter I think, in Reptiles Magazine, that talked about pyramiding. I don't recall if I have the issue anymore, but I can see if I can find it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.