This Disappears When Logged In

Why's My Snake Rattling?!

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by miranda200784, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miranda200784

miranda200784 Active Member

Every time I go to pick up my six foot long grey ratsnake, she rattles her tail. I know I'm silly, but I daren't get her out! She is fine when other people handle her,she just doesn't like me, but it has been sometime since she was handled. I'd love for her to be tame, but am starting to wonder whether she hates me! any help would be much appreciated many thanks x

2. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

When you say "rattle" do you mean she shakes her tail or do you hear a rattling sound?

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm assuming you mean shaking her tail, since the only snakes that have actual rattles are rattlesnakes.

Do you feed in the enclosure?

4. nicole

nicole Elite Member

One of my red tails will do that, right before he strikes at me.

5. miranda200784

yes I do, she has been fed last week, but i thought she might be a bit hungry so now have put a mouse in and left her to it. It doesn't seem to matter when I try get her out, she refuses to come! the tail makes a very audible rattling sound, is this normal?

and her tail shakes

6. schlegelbagel

You feed in the tank. She associates you coming into the tank and food appearing, so she sees you and thinks its time to strike. Start feeding in a separate feeding box and see what happens.

7. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

It means she's stressed. She wants to be left alone and not handled. Do you feed live or f/t?

8. miranda200784

I feed her defrosted mice, as i believe it is illegal to feed live prey in the uk. I just want to to try and be a good owner, but I have had her for several years and keep trying with her, but she iether rattles, strikes or hides whenever I go to get her. When I clean her out my friend comes round to get her out, since he moved away, my partners uncle came and took her out, but he held her head sort of pinned down, do you think this may have frightened her?

re: separate feeding tank: how can I safeley remove her from her enclosure to feed her in a different tank? I have been considering moving her from a top opening tank to a side opening one

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think the problem is just that the snake isn`t used to being handled, have you handled her in the past? And yes, I think it`s illegal to feed live prey here in the U.K. (Good!)

10. miranda200784

I have only handled her when she was passed to me by my friend about two years ago. I know, I know, I'm a bad mummy! The previous owners handled her up until she bit one of them when he accidently dropped a piece of bark on her head (I think I would have bit him too!). Everyone else that has handled her has been male, could it make a difference that I am female, I know my friend has an iguana who hates femalse!

p.s sorry for the terrible spelling, my keyboard is playing up after my son spilt milkshake on it!

11. schlegelbagel

Get a good thick pair of leather gloves. If you are protected and she strikes, nothing will happen. Don't let go! They make special gloves for handling snakes which go further up the arm. Pick her up gently. I agree, if she has never really been handled, she really only associates you with food and can be stressed you appear.

12. miranda200784

I have tried new gardening gloves to pick her up but she just slithered out of my grasp and sulked for a few days! I must admit though, gardening gloves are a bit rough and quite rigid, and I can't get a good hold of her with them on.

13. schlegelbagel

New is probably the key problem. You need some broken in ones!

14. miranda200784

lol. :) I just didn't want to use my ones from the garden! Do you think she will eventually become tame or are some snakes just untameable?

15. schlegelbagel

I think if you get her used to human contact, you can have a good relationship.

16. miranda200784

I'm very scared of hurting or making her jump, and then she won't trust me again.I'd have to hold really firmly so she couldn't slither out of my grasp

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You`re NOT a bad mummy!! I`ve never had or heard of snakes that would react differently towards male or female owners... As you just said you DON`T handle her, so she will remain defensive towards you, I think you just have to start handling, you can always wear a pair of thick gloves, ( Gardening), just `til you get used to picking her up, and of course, she learns you`re not trying to hurt her... If you start when she`s a little cooler, it may be easier ... By the way, may I use the Milkshake line, to excuse MY spelling mistakes? (Thanks!) The sooner you start, the sooner she and you will feel much more confident!
    P.S. I`ve just noticed you`ve tried the gloves, go with the bare hands then, be brave!! (But gentle).

You don`t need to be too firm, just allow her to move through your hands, one after the other, make sure you support her whole body. Even on the floor, so she`s just moving over your hands, to get used to the feeling of each other...

18. schlegelbagel

Yes, don't restrain her so she can't move. Just hold her and let her move around your hands naturally.

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The tail rattling is no big deal. It just means that they are startled or frightened. I have colubrids that I have had for years which will still do it occassionally if I startle them. Just start picking the snake up and handling it. If you don't, nothing is going to change.
    I suspect part of your problem is your insecurity. The snake can sense nervousness. I also would not suggest head pinning it to pick it up. THAT is not going to make the snake any more comfortable with you.
    Try taking a T shirt and wearing it for a couple of days and then leaving it in the cage with the snake to get him acustomed to your scent as a part of his normal environment.

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

in order to clean her tank, or move her to another bin, you will have to handle her. If you're worried about getting bit, try using snake hook, or gloves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.