This Disappears When Logged In

Why Wont My Snake Shed?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by bearsnake27, Aug 24, 2013.

1. bearsnake27

bearsnake27 Member

Hey everyone,

So I have a 4ft ghost brook king snake ive had him for over a year now. Hes about 3yrs old living in a 65 gallon tank. I switched from aspen bedding to newspaper for substrate because our swamp cooler was making it way to humid in his tank. I got his humidity back down to 40-45% his warm side is a nice 85-90 and cool side is 80. Anyway now for my problem Hersh (my king) has never had a problem shedding most of the time he was shedding every 3-5 weeks now he hasn't shed for almost two months you can see his old scales starting to peel but he wont shed and has been super restless the last couple days. I fed him a bigger meal last week in hopes he would finally shed but still hasn't. Anyone have any suggestions or advice???

Thank you!

2. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Make sure you have something course in the enclosure he can use to rub his shed. Sometimes if i see one of my snakes in pre-shed for longer than normal i draw a luke warm bath in a sterilite tub, put some rocks in so my snake can securely grip something, put the top on, and leave him for about 7-10 mins. Make sure the water doesnt chill (shouldnt be a problem this time of year). Works good for me.