This Disappears When Logged In

Why Wont He Stay Awake?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by mayhmmaydn, Mar 21, 2015.

1. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Mozzie went into his first brumation on time. did a few weeks of kinda sleeping and a few weeks of heavy sleeping. he came out of it ok. black beard, head bobs... then he slowed down. wouldn't eat and now 2 months later he is going back and hiding in his den again and sleeping unless I pull him out. 40g, wood hide cool side 78-81 sandstone ramp for basking on hot side and it has a hide inside also. Under light, ramp goes from 90-103. ambient around 85. water bowl, bug dish. has only wanted to eat superworms and some mustard greens from time to time. He bathes weekly and drinks from both bath and bowl . I just cant stand it when he is in his hide and all light colored and cold. any ideas?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I would suggest allowing him to brumate, uninterrupted, until he is ready to come out of it.

mayhmmaydn likes this.
  3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, nice to see you posting again, sorry it`s me that`s replying! ;)
    What were the temps when he was brumating, and why is the basking surface temp only 90 to 103f (if that is the surface temp)?

4. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Murrindindi thanks for catching that. It goes up to 115 at hot end. surface temp at that end of ramp. he usually only goes up there after bath or when its been cool at night.

5. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

oooops when he was brumating he was at cold end which was mid to upper 70s.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think the temperature was much too high, when they are brumating it only needs to be in the mid to high 60`s F.
    During that time did you waken the lizard to offer food or water on occasion?